Skill Level: 3
Original Honor: 1935
Adventsource Honors Handbook PDF
Adventsource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
- Be able to identify the following terms:
j. Deckle edge
k. Guarding sheets
- Describe the difference between the following binding methods:
a. Perfect binding
b. Hard bound
c. Single signature
d. Spiral (metal and plastic)
e. saddle stitch
- Perform the following:
a. Bind a single signature hand binding "manuscript".
b. Bind a blank book using at least four signatures and a permanent cloth hard board binding, using a "case" method.
c. The proper way to "break in" a new binding.
d. Make a "slip case" for your blank book of at least four signatures.
- Identify and describe the uses for the following binder’s tools:
a. Bone folder
b. Kick press
c. Folding needle
e. Sewing frame
f. Squared card
- Define the difference of paper weight in relationship to a ream of paper.
- Describe the color and properties of three types of adhesives used in the binding process and where they are used:
a. Hot melt animal glue
b. Casing-in paste
c. Resin glues
- Know and list the five principal stages of hand binding
a. Preparing the signatures
b. Sewing up the signatures
c. Gluing up the back
d. Attaching the boards (covers)