Skill Level 2
Original Honor 1928 Updated 2018
Adventsource Honors Handbook PDF
Adventsource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Organization: General Conference
Note: This is the NAD version of the honor requirements. For the General Conference honor requirements visit here. The patch is identical.
- Properly start an automobile or light truck engine with an automatic transmission, and then one with a standard transmission. Briefly explain why it is necessary for the engine to have the proper oil, water, fuel, and battery pressures and levels for proper engine operation.
- Briefly describe how a keyless ignition system functions. Properly start an automobile or light truck with a push button start/stop assembly.
- Briefly explain the following concepts:
- The principles of four-cycle engine vs. a two-cycle engine.
- The difference between a gasoline and a diesel engine.
- The major differences between carburetor fuel systems and fuel-injection systems.
- The principles of an electric vehicle.
- What is an ECU? Give three practical examples of its use.
- Briefly explain the function of the following:
- Engine: crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, camshaft, valves, oil pump, carburetor, fuel injectors, ignition distributor, fuel distributor, electrical system including alternator, battery, and regulator
- Transmission: The difference between standard transmission and automatic transmission and how the engine torque is transmitted to both kinds of transmissions; the purpose of overdrive
- Drivetrain: The difference between rear wheel drive, front wheel drive, and all-wheel drive.
- Brakes: The difference between drum brakes and disk brakes, standard brakes and power brakes, and the parking brake
- Describe 2 techniques used to measure the tread depth of a tire.
- What is a tire pressure gauge? Briefly describe:
- where to check for the recommended tire pressure
- the process of adjusting the tire pressure as necessary
- what takes place when the tire pressure is low
- How often should the engine oil, transmission oil, and cooling fluid be changed?
- Give some pointers on proper care of the vehicle and its finish, both interior, and exterior.
- Be able to describe and locate each of the following items, if equipped.
- Fuel Pump
- Spark Plugs
- Timing Belt
- Water Pump
- Catalytic Converter
- Paddle Shifters
- Single/Dual Exhaust
- Cruise Control
- Suspension (Shocks & Struts)
- Brake Assist
- Air Bags
- Keyless Entry
- Fuse Box
- Master Cylinder
- Perform typical automotive maintenance as listed below:
- Check engine and transmission oil levels.
- Check water/antifreeze level. Change and flush the cooling system.
- Change engine oil and filter.
- Change a tire, following proper safety procedure.
- Lubricate the chassis according to the vehicle service manual.
- Check windshield wipers and replace if necessary
- Check windshield wiper fluid reservoir and adjust fluid levels as necessary
- Check power steering fluid levels.
- Check front, rear, and turning signal lights.
- Check air filter and replace if necessary
- Check cabin filter and replace if necessary