Skill Level: 2
Original Honor: 2000
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Advanced Star (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: North American Division
Note: All requirements should be completed in a safe environment with a gentle horse.
- Have the Horsemanship Honor.
- Label on an outline drawing of a horse, or point out on a live horse a minimum of 30 different parts of a horse.
- Demonstrate and explain how to care for tack.
- Demonstrate and explain how to catch and halter a horse safely.
- Demonstrate and explain how to tie a horse safely with a manger knot and with a bowline knot using the correct length of rope and trying at the correct height from the ground.
- Demonstrate and explain how to correctly saddle and bridle a horse and adjust stirrup length.
- Demonstrate the 3 correct positions while riding at a trot/jog including circles and reverses:
- Safely demonstrate an emergency dismount.
- Ride on a trail for a total of 7 cumulative hours, following all safety rules and using correct position.
- Demonstrate and explain how to use a hoof pick.
- Demonstrate proper method to turn out a horse.
- Identify a minimum of 8 common horse colors, 5 common face markings, and 5 common leg markings.
- Demonstrate and explain correct spacing, reversing direction and passing other riders in an arena setting at the walk with at least one other rider, following all safety rules.
- Negotiate a simple three element trail obstacle course set up on level ground riding at a walk. Choose from the following:
a. Step over log or pole, maximum height of 16 inches (40.6 cm).
b. Pass between 2 barrels or bales of hay spaced 45 inches (1.1 meters) apart.
c. Zigzag between poles set at 12 foot (3.6 meters) intervals.
d. Walk into a large hey-hole, 15 foot (4.6 meters) circle, turn and exit without stepping on or crossing any borderline.
- Know how to cool down and care for a horse after a demanding ride.