Skill Level: 1
Original Honor: 1961
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
Note: All requirements should be completed in a safe environment with a gentle horse.
- Label on an outline drawing of a horse, or point out on a live horse a minimum of 15 different parts of a horse.
- Label on an outline drawing or point out on a real saddle and bridle: Westernó minimum of 10 parts of the saddle and 6 parts of the bridle; Englishóminimum of
9 parts of the saddle and 7 parts of the bridle.
- Demonstrate and explain the purpose of safety equipment while riding and working around horsesóriding helmet and boots (or hard soled shoes with a heel).
- Demonstrate and explain a minimum of 5 rules to safely approach and lead a horse.
- Demonstrate and explain a minimum of 5 safety rules for working around horses.
- Demonstrate and explain safe grooming of a horse using the 4 basic toolsómane and tail comb, curry comb, stiff brush, and soft brush.
- Demonstrate a safe mount (including tack check) and dismount.
- Demonstrate a balanced seat while riding at a walk, including circles and reverses.
- Demonstrate and explain start, stop, circles and reverses using the 4 natural aids legs, hands, voice, and weight.
- Demonstrate and explain 5 trail safety rules, including the following:
a. Be attentive to leader and alert to danger.
b. Use correct spacing.
c. Do not let your horse eat along the trail.
d. Never move faster than a walk on paved surfaces.
e. Always walk your horse when approaching or leaving a group of riders.
f. Use correct position for hills and obstacles.
- Ride on a trail for a minimum of 3 cumulative hours following all safety rules and using correct position.