Skill Level: 3
Original Honor: 2001
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. What trees in your area are used for building canoes? Name them in your language. Are they considered softwoods or hardwoods?
2. What trees are used for building canoes, softwoods or hardwoods?
3. What tools are used for building canoes? Start with felling the tree up to completion.
4. Choose a good canoe tree about four meters in length and observe the correct felling of it. Explain what happened.
5. Describe how a log is prepared to build a canoe.
6. With the help of others properly shape the outside of the canoe and hollow out the inside. Correctly smooth both surfaces inside and outside.
7. Assist in the making of paddles, seats, poles and fittings for the canoe.
8. Assist in the construction of decking, outrigger, mast and sail if the canoe is of a double hull or outrigger type.
9. Make a tree model of the type of canoe used in your district.