Pathfinder Bible Experience
Pathfinder Bible Experience
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- On April 18, 128 teams met in Keene Texas, at Southwestern Adventist University, for the fourth-annual PBE Finals. 92 teams achieved a first place rating, while 33 teams achieved a second place rating, and 1 team achieved a third place rating. Each of the teams present represent the best their conferences have to offer, having to achieve a first place rating (90% correct from highest score) at three previous levels of play.
This chart shows teams alphabetically by Union and Conference along with each team's ranking. Following the chart is additional information about the growth and spiritual impact of PBE.
TIMING:In an effort to be fair yet streamline the response time following the second reading of the questions in the testing process we have made the following changes to the response time.
Previously, following the second reading of the testing question, the teams were given 10 seconds to determine the answer to the question. Next the scribe was given 10 seconds to write down the answer, for a total time of 20 seconds. The scribe would then give the answer sheet to the grader who would write down the score based on the answer shown on the screen or send the answer sheet to the judges. If the question required additional time to answer the question, the team would raise their hand or a flag was raised to indicate more time was necessary. The answer was given from the front when all hands or flags were lowered.
Beginning this year, 2014-2015, at all levels, the following timing procedure will be implemented:
Below you will find the forms necessary for local team, area, and conference levels of play.
Local Club Forms:
Statement of Integrity - Please bring a signed copy to your area, conference, union, and division events.
Media Release Form -- Please bring a signed copy FOR EACH PARTICIPANT to your area, conference, union, and division events.
Conference Forms and Tools:
Tools to assist PBE Conference leadership
Conference Enrollment Registration Form
Official Event Score Sheet
Official Answer Sheets for Area Event Level of Play -- print one document for each team participating
Official Answer Sheets for Conference Level of Play -- print one document for each team participating
Official Answer Sheets for Union Level of Play -- print one document for each team participating
Team/Club Participation Certificate Template -- Word 97/XP/2003 | Word 2010
Voted NAD Pathfinder Advisory 2013 --
Beginning in 2014 we have changed the study direction of PBE from multiple books to generally one book.
- 2015 - Matthew
- 2016 - Exodus
- 2017 - Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and 1 & 2 Timothy
The Pathfinder Bible Experience is the Official North American Division Pathfinder Bible study program. Some affectionately call the program Bible Bowl.
Each year, teams of six club members study a book of the Bible (alternating Old Testament and New Testament), memorizing large portions of God's word.
There are four levels of competition - Area, Conference, Union, and Division.
In April, finalist teams from across the Division participate in the final level of testing. The finals take place either near NAD Headquarters (even years) and in various union locations during odd numbered years. In 2012 and 2014 the finals were at near the Division offices in Maryland, and in 2013 the finals were at Union College in Lincoln NE. In 2015, the Southwest Union is hosting the finals event.
The Pathfinders are tested over the assigned study books as well as the SDA Bible Commentary Introduction to each study book.
At each level, the teams scoring 90% or higher of the highest score at their testing site make 1st place and are invited to go on to the next level. The winning teams are extreme students of the Bible and in most cases memorize chapters and in some cases the entire book(s). Winning teams incorporate the Total Church Involvement approach. This means they have study coaches but also involve the church elders and other members of the local church to assist in making up sample tests, friendly competition against the elders to see who is the better student of the Bible, become involved in worships made up of talks from subject matter from the assigned study book(s). The students may also perform dramas depicting some of the Biblical stories from their assigned study book.
The full PBE Manual is available from AdventSource or as a PDF download here.
- Each year on the first Sabbath in February, teams of up to six Pathfinders will participate in an area (fellowship, district) Pathfinder Bible Experience.
- Clubs can field as many teams as they have Pathfinders to fill. Those placing in the 1st place category with 90% and higher of the top score earned will advance to conference level on the first Sabbath of March. Here is the link of official dates for this year.
- Union level will be held on the last Sabbath in March and the Division level on the third Sabbath in April. The local conference and union may alter the date forward or backward a week according to their unique scheduling needs. Here is the link of official dates for this year
- Most questions will require short answers.
- No special equipment is required, just a laptop and projector at each event.
- Gene Clapp is the NAD Pathfinder Bible Experience Coordinator. You can contact him via email.
- Exciting developments are underway to connect the Pathfinder Bible Experience with the broader church life, Bible study, and revival, reformation and repentance.