Skill Level 3
Original Honor 1964 Updated 2018
Adventsource Honors Handbook PDF
Adventsource Order: Advanced Star (must have approved login in order to purchase)
Wikibooks.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Organization: General Conference
- Have the Auto Mechanics Honor.
- Briefly explain the following concepts:
- The difference between a supercharger and a turbo
- The difference between staggered wheels and non-staggered wheels
- The difference between alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC)
- The difference between horsepower and torque
- Describe how an anti-lock braking system (ABS) operates.
- Briefly explain how to do each of the following:
- Read the manufacture date on a tire.
- Determine the tire size and pressure as recommended by the manufacturer for a selected vehicle.
- Measure tire wear and determine the remaining life of a tire.
- Describe how a rear axle differential functions.
- Briefly explain the differences between the following types of brake rotors:
- Smooth brake rotors
- Slotted brake rotors
- Cross-drilled brake rotors
- Cross-drilled & slotted brake rotors
- Briefly explain the difference between a wheel alignment and tire balancing.
- Briefly describe the following types of engine:
- Rotary engine
- Boxer engine
- Know how to replace the brake assembly at the wheel, following proper safety procedures. Demonstrate proper brake bleeding and adjustment.
- Perform a minor tune-up, including the replacement of spark plugs and visually checking the electrical system.