Skill Level: 1
Original Honor: 1986; Revised 2008
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference / North American Division
Note: This is the NAD version of the honor requirements. For the General Conference honor requirements visit here. The patch is identical.
1. Describe the function of and point out the following components of a personal computer.
b. Memory (RAM)
c. Mother board
d. Hard Drive
e. External Drive
f. Internal Drive
h. Optical Drive
i. Input devices
n. Modem / Network Card
o. Digital Camera
2. Describe the proper handling and storage techniques of disks, CDs, CDR’s, DVDs, Flash/USB drives, and other equivalent optical media devices.
3. Explain the difference between read-only, write once, and write-rewrite media. What are examples of each?
4. Determine the following on a computer system:
a. Processor speed
b. Storage capacity of the hard drive.
c. Memory capacity (RAM)
5. What are the advantages of increasing processor speed, hard drive storage capacity, and RAM on a computer?
6. List two different types of printers and explain the uses and advantages of each type.
7. Explain how each of the following elements helps protect a computer system. Why is computer safety so important?
a. Backup of personal files
b. Whole system image backup
c. Surge protection
d. Internet safety hardware/software
8. Write a 250-word essay or give a three-minute oral report about the history of computers. Include prominent events and personalities that are significant to the development of the computer, both hardware and software. This report should focus on the development of the personal computer, not the internet or other accessory functions related to computing.
9. Spend one week charting the time you spend on a computer. List what time was spent on schoolwork, gaming, online, etc. At the end of the week, evaluate with your counselor, family, or group leader how your management of computer time relates to the Bible’s instructions on stewardship of our time and resources (Romans 14:12; Psalms 31:15; Ecclesiates 31:1-8; Ephesians 5:15-16).
10. Dialogue with a long-term computer user about the advantages/disadvantages of Macs and PCs. Some questions you should ask include:
a. What operating system does each use? What are ome advantages of that OS?
b. What compatibility issues do these two types of computers have in relation to data sharing and program installation?
c. What type of industries / careers tend to use each type of computer system?