Skill Level: 2
Original Honor: 1986
Adventsource Honors Handbook PDF
Adventsource Catalog: #005385 Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from adventsource)
Wikibooks.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: North American Division
1. List and describe the principle characteristics, qualities, and sizing of the following cross-country skiing equipment:
a. Skis (both waxable and unwaxable)
2. Describe and demonstrate how the above gear would be prepared for use and cared for both on the field and during the off season.
3. What consideration should be made when selecting clothing to be worn while cross-country skiing? What features would you look for when selecting a pack for cross-country ski touring?
4. Demonstrate properly on skis the following travel techniques:
a. Flat striding with good kick, purchase, and form
b. Single poling, change-up, and double poling
c. Side stepping up and down slopes
d. Herringbone slope climbing
e. Traverse-side stepping up slope with kick turns
f. Straight up slope climbing
g. Straight downhill running under control, 20 degree slope (schuss)
h. Moving step turning down slope
i. Snow plowing for slowing speed and stopping
j. Sitback stopping
5. Explain the purpose of waxing. Briefly explain the need for different waxes for different snow types and temperatures.
6. Explain basic safety precautions to follow in cross-country skiing.
7. Know and explain the official National Ski rules for conduct in cross-country skiing.
8. Demonstrate skiing ability by doing the following:
a. Take three separate three-mile trail tours with another individual. If possible, have varying snow conditions.
b. Take a ten-mile tour over varying terrain.
c. During all tours carry necessary gear (safely) and wear proper clothing for conditions demonstrating ability to maintain proper body temperature, dryness, and condition.