Skill Level: 2
Original Honor: 1953
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. Have the intermediate Swimming Honor.
2. Know the "rules of the road for boating."
3. Know how weather conditions and high wave conditions can affect safety and sailing performance.
4. What safety precautions should be followed when sailing.
5. Do the following:
a. Get a sailboat underway from dock, mooring or beach.
b. Know how to adjust your sails for the following situations:
1) Beating the wind
2) Beam reach
3) Broad reach
4) Close reach
c. Change tack by coming about and by jibing.
d. Approach a dock mooring, or beach, stop and prepare the boat for being unattended.
6. Know how to tie and use the following knots in sailing:
c. Clove hitch
e. Two half-hitches
f. Mooring hitch
7. List several ways to care for your sailing equipment through the year.
8. Have a knowledge of at least 20 terms used in sailing and their meanings.
9. Identify at least 15 parts of a sailboat.
10. Demonstrate the rescue of a person overboard.*
11. Demonstrate what to do when a sailboat capsizes.*
* These requirements should be done under the supervision of an adult. A rescue boat should be ready to give assistance.