Skill Level: 2
Original Honor: 2005 Updated 2018 (NAD)
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Advanced Star Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: North American Division
Note: Note: This is the NAD version of the honor requirements. For the General Conference honor requirements visit here. The patch is identical.
- Have the Basic Geocaching honor
- Define the following terms
- Favorite points
- Message center
- Souvenir badges
- Lists or Pocket Queries
- Define latitude and longitude. What is meant by degrees, minutes, seconds? Demonstrate how to find the latitude and longitude on a geocache listing.
- Give the history of the following:
- the origins of global positioning satellites.
- when and how geocaching started
- the basics of the first geocache (stash)
- What are the laws/rules/guidelines for placing caches in the following locations in your region?
- City, regional or county parks
- State parks / provincial parks
- National Parks
- Limited access highways and railroads right-of-ways
- Placing physical caches while traveling
- Other public lands or areas in your area with permitting guidelines
- Complete two or more of the following:
- Establish and maintain a new geocache in your area for at least six months
- Attend a geocache meeting or event
- Complete a geotour, geotrail, or its equivalent (with a minimum of 6 caches found)
- Find two travel bugs or geocoins and place them in another cache.
- Hike five or more miles while geocaching in flatlands, three miles if in rugged terrain.
- Find the two oldest caches hidden in your state or region.
- Find and record at least 18 geocaches and include:
- One traditional cache with three-star difficulty and/or terrain rating*.
- One multi-level cache or Mystery (Puzzle) cache
- One virtual or earthcache
- One cache with at least 10 favorite points
- Write about your geocache find in your logbook on a geocache website. Note: If caching as a group, a single account and single find logs may be used to collectively track the finds for the group.
*The free geocaching app limits to five finds per day of caches with a D/T rating of 2 or less. Thus, a paid quarterly or annual membership would be necessary for this requirement if using a geocaching app.