1. Prerequisite: AY Honor in Intermediate Swimming.
2. Demonstrate, first alone and then with companion, the proper method of:
a. Entering and launching a canoe (1) from a beach, (2) from a landing dock or pier.
b. Landing and leaving of a canoe (1) from a beach, (2) from a landing dock or pier.
3. Accompanied by examining counselor, demonstrate correctly from both front and rear:
a. The following strokes: (l) bow, (2) diagonal draw, (3) half sweep, (4) J?stroke, (5) reverse half sweep, (6) push over, (7) full sweep, (8) combination draw and J?stroke.
b. Make both right and left pivot turns without headway.
4. Alone in a canoe, paddle a straight course for one hundred yards; turn rightabout and left about, keeping paddle always on the same side of the canoe. Demonstrate two kneeling positions for cruising.
5. Demonstrate with canoe the rescue of a companion who has capsized his canoe offshore by:
a. Emptying the swamped canoe of water by drawing it upside down across the gunwales of rescue canoe,
b. Then launching it again,
c. Finally steady it while companion climbs aboard.
6. Jump out of a canoe in deep water and get back in again in the proper form without shipping water. (Candidate must be accompanied by lifeguard in a lifeboat.)
7. With clothes on (if possible):
a. Capsize a canoe in deep water.
b. Right it and stow paddles and kneeling pad.
c. Get in canoe while filled with water and paddle with hands or paddle for 25 yards (24 mts.).
d. Disrobe, stow clothes and paddle, go overboard, hold on to bow of canoe with one hand, swim and tow swamped canoe to shore.
e. Empty canoe properly, land it. (Candidate must be accompanied by lifeguard in an equipped lifeboat.)
8. Fully satisfy the examiner of a thorough knowledge of safety rules which will make the candidate a safe canoeist and competent to take others out in a canoe. Promise to observe these rules at all times.
9. Explain how to do emergency repair work such as (a) repairing a one?inch hole through the canvas or fiberglass, (b) repairing a broken paddle shaft.
Skill Level 2