Category: Outdoor Industries
Level: Level 1
Year Introduced: 1944
Item Number: YOU6310
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. What kind of areas do sheep naturally inhabit?
2. What kind of vegetation furnishes the feed most ideal for sheep?
3. What kind of shelter or barns should be provided for sheep?
4. How much space is needed for each animal in the following conditions:
a. Loose barn space for adult sheep
b. Outside lot space for adult sheep
c. Loose barn space for large lamb
d. Loose barn space for small lamb
e. Pasture required for one ewe
f. Feed trough space for mature sheep
5. Which are the most favorable seasons of the year in which to make a start in sheep raising?
6. What considerations should be taken into account when selecting the breed of stock?
7. What is the ideal size of flock for inexperienced beginners in sheep raising?
8. What winter feed is most ideal for sheep?
9. What type of care should be given to lambs?
10. Know the meaning of the following terms:
d. Cross breed
j. Forages or roughages
m. Grease weight
11. Care for two or more lambs until marketed or until six months of age.