Skill Level: 2
Category: Outdoor Industries
Original Honor: 1944
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
- Describe the proper type of pigeon house or loft, perch, trap, and nest box to use for pigeon raising. List the needed interior equipment for a loft.
- Know a good formula for seeds, grain, and grit to be used for feed and in what proportions they should be mixed. Why should less corn be used in warm climates?
- What is the importance of the different parts of the pigeon's wing, especially the primary and secondary flight feathers?
- What is the importance of proper molting? How can the molting season be controlled?
- Raise at least two pairs of pigeons. If homing pigeons, train them to return to their loft from a distance of 25 miles (40 km). If fancy or show pigeons, prepare them for exhibition and exhibit them in a fair or show.
- Submit a brief report, covering your experience in the care and training of the above pigeons, including sanitation, avoiding disease, lice, mites, rats, mice, and other vermin.
Before working on this honor, participants should contact agencies in their locality and get the safety information concerning the raising and housing of pigeons.