Skill Level: 2
Original Honor: 2014
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wikibooks.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: North American Division
1. What are the characteristics of a taiga?
2. What are other names used for the taiga biome?
3. What two countries contain most of the taiga?
4. What biome is found north and south of the taiga?
5. What biome is often found in low-lying pockets within the taiga?
6. What is permafrost and where can it be found?
7. What trees are commonly found in the taiga? Be able to identify them.
8. Which coniferous tree in the taiga looses its needles in the fall and grows new ones in the spring?
9. What non-flowering plants are common in the taiga? Be able to identify them.
10. What animals are commonly found in the taiga? Be able to identify them.
11. What birds are common in the taiga? Be able to identify them.
12. How does fire affect the taiga?
13. What two important resources are provided to us by the taiga?
14. Learn about one invasive species that affect the taiga.
15. Prepare an object lesson about a plant, animal or bird that lives in the taiga? Present this lesson at a club worship. Be sure to include a bible text in this presentation.
16. Do at least two of the following activities:
a. Visit an exhibit or conservatory of coniferous tree species.
b. Collect, draw or photograph items representing at least five types of coniferous trees.
c. Visit a zoo where there are animals typical of the taiga biome.
d. Watch a DVD or video about the taiga or plants or animals that live in the taiga.
e. Draw or paint a picture of something you had fun learning about while studying the taiga.
f. As a group, make a short video about a real life taiga conservation project. Explain why this specific habitat should be saved.
g. Visit a lumber store and learn to identify, by their grain texture, at least three species of trees that grow in the taiga.