Skill Level: 2
Original Honor: 2014
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
Adventsource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from adventsource)
Wikibooks.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: North American Division
1. Explain the difference between a conventional fossil fuel and an alternative fuel?
2. Briefly describe each of the following alternative fuels and their benefits:
a. Algae-based fuel
g. Liquid Nitrogen
i. Natural Gas
j. Non-fossil Methane
k. Nuclear Power
m. Vegetable oil
3. Discover at least three reasons why alternative fuels are important?
4. What are some advantages and disadvantages of alternate fuels?
5. Illustrate through drawings, sketches or photographs the elements that make up natural gas.
6. Explain the difference between compressed natural gas and liquefied natural gas?
7. Draw the steps or view an electronic animation that illustrates the alternate fuel conversion process as used in the automobile industry.
8. Describe how a propane vehicle operates.
9. Discuss with a group the importance of finding alternative fuel methods.
10. Do two of the following individually or as a group:
a. Visit a facility that produces an alternative fuel of your choice. Prepare and give an oral presentation on your activity.
b. Create a science project demonstration that illustrates how an alternative fuel can be used.
c. Have someone who works in the alternative fuels industry come and speak to you or your group.
d. Calculate and demonstrate cost savings for modern alternative fuel/hybrid vehicles. Demonstrate your finding through a presentation, display or verbal report.
11. Discuss with a group the following texts as they relate to alternative fuels. Note: This is an open question designed to allow pathfinders to think freely with the guidance of an instructor.
a. Psalm 24:1
b. Colossians 1:16-17
c. John 1:3