Skill Level: 2
Original Honor: 2011
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. What distinguishes the rivers and streams biome from other aqueous biomes?
2. Define the following terms:
c. Creek or Brook
d. Rivulet or Rill
k. Continental Divide
l . Riffle
q. Alluvial Fan
3. Explain three differences between the water at the head and at the mouth of a river. Give examples of some species found in each place.
4. Identify on a map the main rivers on your continent. Know at least five of their explorers. Read a story about one of the explorers.
5. What is an oxbow lake? Describe how it is formed.
6. List at least five fish which live in a river or stream.
7. List at least five plants which live in or along a river or stream.
8. List at least five birds which live on or near a river.
9. List at least five mammals which live in or along a river or stream.
10. Write a report or present orally the story of an introduced plant or animal species in this biome. Include where it came from, the problems it causes and what steps are
being taken to reduce/eliminate the damage.
11. Describe a species native to this biome which is threatened, endangered or extinct. Include some contributing causes.
12. Sing a song about a river or stream.
13. Read about the “River of Life” mentioned in the bible.
14. Develop or read an object lesson about a river and present it at a pathfinder worship, children’s story, or other acceptable event approved by a master guide.
15. Do at least two of the following activities related to rivers and streams:
a. Photograph or draw the organisms found in samples of water you collected from a stream.
b. Walk along a stream and list the plants and animals you observe.
c. Visit a large waterfall or dam and explain what difficulty it presents for the wildlife.
d. Pick up trash along a river or stream.
e. Produce a 60 second commercial to inform an audience about something in this biome.