Skill Level: 3
Original Honor: 1949
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Advanced Star Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. Have the Trees Honor.
2. Collect, identify, press, and mount leaves of 35 different species of trees.
3. Separately collect, press, mount, and label specimens that demonstrate the following terms: serrate, doubly serrate, entire, crenate, dentate, lobed, incised, whorled, opposite, alternate, pinnately compound, and (if possible) triple compound.
4. Do the following:
a. Describe the advantages in using the Latin or scientific names.
b. Of what use are the two parts of a scientific name?
5. Name six families of trees in the angiosperm class and three families in the gymnosperm class.
6. Know and describe the function of leaves in the life of a tree.
7. Name the families of trees and shrubs in your area which have opposite leaves.
8. Define the following terms: stipule, petiole, blade, pitch, heartwood, sapwood, springwood, summerwood, annual ring, cambium, xylem, and phloem.
9. What families of trees have thorns, catkins, winged seeds, acorns, pods, capsules, nuts, berries?
10. Identify ten deciduous trees by their “winter” characteristics, (features other than leaves) such as twig and bud, bark, characteristic form and growth habits.