Skill Level: 2
Original Honor: 2014
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: North American Division
1. What is a bog? How is it unique?
2. Where are bogs found?
3. Name six things that are needed for bog formation.
4. Name and describe three different types of true bogs.
5. What is the difference between a bog and fen? What is succession and how do bogs and fens illustrate this process?
6. What are some adaptations of bog plants?
7. What is Sphagnum Moss and how is it vital to bogs?
8. What are carnivorous plants and what makes them bog specific? Name and describe at least two of them.
9. Name and describe five other plants or trees, which are found in bogs.
10. Tell a story about bogs and draw a spiritual lesson.
11. Do at least two of the following activities:
a. Visit an exhibit or conservatory of wetland plants, specifically mosses (Sphagnum variety, if possible) and carnivorous plants. Look for how they are adapted to living in poor soil, cold temperatures and lack of nutrients.
b. Visit a zoo where there are wetland animals. If possible, observe some of the ones you studied while learning about bogs.
c. Watch a DVD or video about bogs, plants or animals that live in bogs.
d. Draw or paint a picture of something you had fun learning about while studying bogs.
e. Talk to your group, write about or make a short video about a real life bog conservation project. Explain why this specific habitat should be saved, i.e. endangered species of plants and/or animals living there?