Skill Level: 2
Original Honor: 1949
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. Have the Weather Honor.
2. Explain cyclonic and anticyclonic weather conditions and know how they bring about weather changes.
3. What are cold fronts and warm fronts? How do they move and what weather conditions do they produce?
4. Explain the following weather conditions:
a. Chinook winds
b. Trade winds
c. Belt of calms
e. Squall line
i. Ice storm
5. Explain the action of a registering thermometer, registering barograph, hygrometer, and an anemometer.
6. Correctly read a daily weather map as published by the National Weather Service, explaining the symbols and telling how predictions are made.
7. What is meant by relative humidity and dew-point?
8. Draw a cross-section of the atmosphere, showing its five layers. Include a description of each layer.
9. Keep a daily weather chart for three weeks. Include the following:
a. Amount of precipitation (Secure this either from your own home-made device or from official records.)
b. Barometer reading
c. Cloud formation
d. High and low-temperature
e. Wind speed and direction
f. Weather forecasts and comparison to what really happened.
10. Discuss the effect of mankind on weather.