Skill Level: 1
Original Honor: 1928
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. Answer the following questions:
a. What is the earth's nearest celestial neighbor? What is its distance from the earth?
b. What governs the tides?
c. What causes an eclipse?
d. What is a shooting star?
2. Make a diagram showing relative positions and movements of the earth, sun, and moon. Show positions and area events for eclipses of the sun and moon. One may demonstrate by using an orange, walnut, and marble, or similar objects, to show positions and movements of the earth, sun, and moon when there is an eclipse of the sun and when there is an eclipse of the moon.
3. Make a diagram of our solar system and be able to name the planets in order from the sun.
4. How fast does light travel? How far does light travel in a year?
5. What is the difference between planets and fixed stars? Identify in the sky eight fixed stars.
6. What is a constellation? Name and point out six. Name two constellations visible throughout the year.
7. For the Northern Hemisphere: draw a chart of the Big Dipper, Cassiopeia, and the North Star.
For the Southern Hemisphere: draw a chart of the Southern Cross, Orion and Scorpio.
8. What is the Milky Way? Observe the Milky Way in the night sky.
9. What is the morning star and evening star? Why does it carry both names? Observe the morning and evening star in the sky.
10. Explain zenith and nadir.
11. What is the aurora borealis? What causes it?
12. Discuss the statement made by Ellen G. White in Early Writings, page 41, concerning the opening in Orion.