Skill Level: 2
Adventsource Honors Handbook PDF
Adventsource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from adventsource)
Wikibooks.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. Know ten kinds of tracks including two kinds of bird tracks. Make plaster casts of five.
2. Name at least three things that tracks tell us.
3. Trail some animal tracks, identify the animal if possible; tell whether it was running or walking. Measure between the tracks of one animal when running and walking.
4. Maintain a tracking station for at least three days.
a. Select a flat open space in some quiet place near your camp or home.
1. Smooth out ground, mud, sand, etc.
2. Place food out for wildlife.
3. Check each day for tracks and replenish food when necessary.
4. Name two animals for each tracking group.
b. Toe walkers
c. Toenail walkers
d. Bounders or long hindleggers
5. Name four signs of the presence of mammals.
6. Distinguish between rabbit and squirrel tracks and between dog and cat family tracks.
7. Name two groups of animals (mammals, birds, insects, etc.) that leave scent trails that another of their kind can follow.
8. Name two birds for each type of track:
9. Besides tracks, give two other signs of the presence of birds.
10. Name two birds identified by their flying patterns.
11. In your area, observe tracks or trail of one or more of the following:
a. Toad or frog
Skill Level: 1