Skill Level: 3
Original Honor: 1986 (updated 2018 NAD)
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Advanced Star (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: North American Division
These requirements differ from the GC edition. These requirements are for the NAD. The patch for the GC and NAD honor requirements is the SAME.
1. Have the Nutrition Honor.
2. Read a book, about Nutrition.
3. Do the following:
a. Keep a food diary on yourself for one week using a computer program and/or nutrition app.
b. Calculate (many of the computer programs or apps will do this automatically) the total nutrients for each day of the following: calories, protein, carbohydrates, total fat, saturated fat, iron, calcium, Vitamin A, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin and Vitamin C or Ascorbic Acid.
4. How does this compare with the Dietary Reference Intake chart?
5. Explain why a high fiber diet is important and tell how this can be obtained.
6. Name three diseases due to malnutrition and describe the symptoms of each.
7. What are the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency?
8. What advice would you give a person who decided to be a total vegetarian?
9. What is the difference between saturated and unsaturated fats? Which is the most healthful and why?
10. Why is it advisable to use less sugar in our diet and suggest ways in which this may be accomplished?
11. What are amino acids? How many are needed to make all the proteins in the body? What is meant by essential amino acids? How many of them are essential? Where can you get all the essential amino acids?
12. Know the difference between water and fat soluble vitamins. What are two common vitamins that are fat soluble? What are two vitamins that are water soluble?
13. Using the book Counsels on Diet and Foods, write a paragraph on the benefits of a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet.
14. Explain why you need to balance exercise with your food intake.