Category: Household Arts
Level: Level 1
Year Introduced: 1928
Item Number: YOU5360
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. Know how to properly operate the kind of stove you have in your home. Know how to put out an oil or grease fire on your stove. Know how to prevent such a fire. Know safety precautions while cooking, including consideration of small children.
2. Know how to properly use measuring spoons, measuring cups, an egg beater, flour sifter, and if you have one, an electric mixer.
3. What is meant by boiling, broiling, frying, baking, simmering, waterless cooking? Which are the most healthful ways of preparing common foods? Which most unhealthful?
4. Demonstrate ability to properly prepare: two different kinds of hot cereal, a healthful hot drink, eggs (cooked) in two different ways other than frying.
5. Prepare potatoes healthfully by two different methods. Cook three other vegetables in the most healthful way.
6. Prepare a simple salad. Why do we need fresh salads in our diet?
7. Know the food guide pyramid. Why is it so important that we follow this chart in our diet? Check your meals for a week to be sure you are eating what you should.
8. Set the table properly for your family for an evening meal. Serve a balanced meal that you have planned and prepare as much as possible by yourself. Include a main dish, vegetable, and salad.
9. Follow a recipe correctly in making a vegetarian entree or a vegetable casserole.
10. Start a recipe file of your own. Put in it only recipes that you have tried and that you like.