Category: Arts, Crafts, and Hobbies
Skill Level: 3
Original Honor: 2007
Adventsource Honors Handbook PDF
Adventsource Catalog: #007400 Advanced Star Order (must have approved order login) (link from adventsource)
Wikibooks.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: North American Division
1. Have the Lighthouses Honor
2. Make a scrapbook including the following:
a. Pictures, post cards or drawings of twenty-five lighthouses. Label should include a brief description of: location, year built, active/non-active status, and order of the lens.
b. Write up a short history of the above lighthouses.
c. Include drawings/pictures and answers to all the requirements for this honor in your scrapbook.
3. List the development of a Fresnel lens, including:
a. Name of the gentleman that invented it.
b. Country that he came from
c. Year developed
4. Draw a Fresnel lens:
a. Show how prisms are used to concentrate light
b. Draw a bull’s eye lens and state its purpose
5. Make a chart showing each class of Fresnel lens:
a. Define order and list by size
b. Name at least one lighthouse using each order
6. Research and describe the history of the mechanism for rotating lights
7. Make a chart of six lighthouses showing nighttime (light) and daytime (day mark) signature.
8. What is a lightship? Why and where are lightships needed?
9. Read about lighthouse keepers and list some of the hazards they faced in completing their duties.
10. Study quotes by Ellen White mentioning lighthouses and discuss the meaning. Place a copy of the quotes in your scrapbook.
11. Obtain a “Lighthouse Passport” and have it stamped at 10 different lighthouse locations.
12. Build a lighthouse modeled after a real lighthouse using a lighthouse kit, wood, or other medium. Know the name, location, and date when the actual lighthouse was originally built.