Category: Outdoor Industries
Level: Level 2
Year Introduced: 1986
Item Number: YOU6361
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. Select 4 different small fruits grown in your area such as strawberries, grapes, raspberries, lingonberries, etc. and determine the soil requirements for each.
2. Write a one page report telling how to grow one of the fruits selected above. Include the following:
a. Variety selection
b. Soil preparation
c. Planting techniques
g. Pest control
3. Name several varieties of each fruit that will grow well in your area.
4. Properly prune at least 2 bushes or vines of small fruits in the family garden or for a friend or neighbor.
5. What is a perishable crop?
6. How long can the fruits mentioned in requirement #1 be stored?
7. Describe a serious insect pest or disease for each fruit. Include when the problem occurs, damage caused, and natural or chemical treatment needed. Utilize pictures or drawings if possible.
8. Take a soil test from a garden and determine which fruits will grow there. Ask for fertilizer recommendations for one of the crops and determine the cost of fertilizer needed for six 30-meter rows.
NOTE: This Honor involves the growing of fruits produced on plants, brambles or vines. Fruits produced on trees are dealt with in the Fruit Growing Honor.