Skill Level: 2
Category: Outdoor Industries
Original Honor: 1986
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. What are the soil requirements for growing bramble berries, strawberries, grapes, and blueberries?
2. Write a one-page report telling how to grow one of the above fruits. Include the following:
a. Variety selection
b. Soil preparation
c. Planting techniques
e. Pruning (where applicable)
g. Pest control
3. Name three varieties of each fruit that will grow well in your area.
4. Prune two blueberry bushes, two grape vines, or a ten-foot row of bramble berries at the proper time in the family garden or for a friend or neighbor.
5. What is a perishable crop?
6. How long can strawberries, bramble berries, blueberries, and grapes be stored?
7. Describe a serious insect or disease pest for each fruit. Include when the problem occurs, damage caused, and chemical or cultural treatments. Use as many pictures or drawings as possible.
8. Take a soil test from a garden and determine which fruits will grow there. Ask for fertilizer recommendations for one of the crops and determine the cost of fertilizer needed for six 100-foot (30.5 meters) rows.
NOTE: This Honor involves the growing of fruits produced on plants, brambles or vines. Fruits produced on trees are dealt with in the Fruit Growing Honor.