Skill Level: 1
Category: Household Arts
Original Honor: 1976
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wikibooks.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. Describe the proper use of the following:
b. Tape measure
c. Scissors and shears
d. Pinking shears
e. Needles of various sizes and types
2. Become acquainted with the sewing machine in your home or school. Identify:
a. Balance wheel
b. Thread take-up
c. Presser foot
d. Presser foot lifter
f. Feed dogs
i. Backspace lever
3. Demonstrate how to properly thread and run the machine.
4. Put a hem in one of the following items showing neat and even stitches.
c. Flannel baby blanket
d. Flannel lap blanket
5. Demonstrate your ability to properly sew on buttons and snaps.
6. Tell what is meant by selvage, bias, and grain of fabric.
7. Make a laundry bag for camping, or a similar simple item.