Category: Household Arts
Level: Level 1
Year Introduced: 1928
Item Number: YOU5860
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. Why is it important to read the labels in garments before laundering them?
2. What is the proper way to prepare clothes for washing?
3. What types of clothes should be washed in hot, warm, and cold water?
4. What precaution should be used when using chlorine bleach? What are the advantages of powdered oxygen bleach? Why should chlorine bleach and ammonia never be mixed?
5. What precautions should be taken when using fabric softeners?
6. What points are to be considered in selecting a washing machine, ironing machine, dryer, iron? How should these laundry implements be cared for?
7. How are woolen garments laundered?
8. Know how to remove stains: ink, fruit, rust, grass, cocoa, grease, blood, chewing gum. Why must stains be removed before laundering?
9. Why is it important to remove garments from dryer immediately when the cycle is completed?
10. What type of materials should be dried only on the lowest heat settings of a dryer?
11. Show a blouse or shirt that you have ironed and folded, or show a skirt and coat that you have pressed.
12. Properly launder and fold clothes for your family for one week.