Skill Level: 3
Category: Arts, Crafts, and Hobbies
Original Honor: 2018
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: North American Division
NOTE: Soap making has the potential to cause injury, therefore it must be taught by a competent, experienced instructor. Due to the hazards involved and the manual dexterity required, it is recommended that the honor be limited to teens, TLTs, and adult leaders with a ratio of no more than 4-6 students per instructor. This is a very hands-on intense honor. If you are unable to find a qualified instructor, contact the Handcrafted Soap and Cosmetic Guild or visit them online to find an instructor in your area.
SAFETY REQUIREMENTS: All participants must wear a long-sleeved shirt, long pants, closed toe shoes, safety glasses, and rubber, latex or nitrile gloves. You may also wear an apron if you wish.
- Have the Soap Craft Advanced Honor.
- Review and list the basic safety equipment needed to make soap.
- What is saponification value?
- What is superfatting?
- Describe the difference between essential oils and fragrance oils.
- What can be used to color the soap?
- What can be used in place of distilled water when making soap?
- At what stage in the soap making process should fragrances, colors, or additives be added?
- Define “seize” in terms of soap and what might cause it.
- What is the most common temperature to “soap” at?
- Explain what 99% rubbing alcohol is used for?
- Describe the following techniques in soap making. Collect photos of at least five of them.
- Simple swirl
- Funnel pour
- Faux funnel pour
- Slant pour
- In the pot swirl
- Zebra swirl
- Spin swirl
- Hanger swirl
- Make two batches of soap. Incorporate color, fragrance, or a design technique in each of these:
- Cold process (CP)
- Melt and pour with embeds (MP)
- Explain how long should your soap cure and why.
- Complete one of the following:
- Give a devotional talk about soap and cleanliness.
- Write a two-page paper on how soap relates to our spiritual life.
- Make a gift/display basket of some of your soaps that you have made and give it to someone that would really appreciate it. This can either be done by yourself or as a group project (additional items may be included).