Skill Level: 2
Category: Arts, Crafts, and Hobbies
Original Honor: UNK
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. Make a list of the various tools needed for thatching, stating their uses, and show a "dekspaan" and a "needle" you have made.
2. State what materials are needed in erecting the framework of a roof ready for thatching. Tell briefly how you go about erecting the framework of a rondavel.
3. Name the various materials required for thatching, including several kinds of thatching "grasses" and thatching "threads." Show samples of these.
4. Answer the following questions on the preparation of thatching material:
a. When is the grass cut and how is it stacked for storing?
b. How is the grass ìcombedî and made ready for thatching?
c. How is thatching rope made? What raw materials are used in your locality?
5. a. Can any shape of roof be thatched?
b. Which is the easiest roof to thatch?
c. What are some of the advantages of a thatched roof?
d. What are some of the things that damage thatch? How would you protect a thatched roof against such?
6. Have some practical knowledge on how to thatch and demonstrate ability in laying a few short rows of thatch.
7. a. How many workers are needed in thatching a rondavel?
b. Describe how you would start thatching a rondavel?
c. Tell, if possible demonstrate, how you would finish off:
(1) a round roof
(2) a gabled roof