Skill Level: 1
Original Honor: 1929
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. Play or sing a scale and know its composition.
2. Write a scale in both treble and bass clef.
3. Know a half-tone, a whole tone, a third, a fifth, and an octave.
4. Distinguish a march from a waltz and give the time of each.
5. What is a quarter note? A half note? A whole note? Draw the symbols of each.
6. Name five great composers and one composition of each, including an oratorio, a piano composition, and a song.
7. Play with or without music or sing from memory 15 hymns (one verse or stanza each) and/or other sacred songs or choruses and list the composer of each.
8. Play or sing from memory one piece of good music other than those used in #7.
9. Do one of the following:
a. For instrumentalists, be able to sight-read and play a moderately difficult piece of music. Explain all signs and terms in it.
b. For singers, show with baton or arm how to lead a group in singing compositions written in 3/4 and 4/4 time.
10. Define orchestra and name at least five instruments in an orchestra.
11. Do a biographical sketch on a famous hymn writer and orally present it to a group.