Category: Arts, Crafts, and Hobbies
Skill Level: 2
Original Honor: 1967
Adventsource Honors Handbook PDF
Adventsource Catalog: #005850 Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from adventsource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: North American Division
1. Name four safety precautions to be taken when sawing rocks.
2. Name two types of diamond saw lubricating and cooling solutions and their purpose.
3. Explain how a diamond saw cuts rocks, how it gets dull, and how it can be sharp ened.
4. Describe the five basic steps to follow in bringing a slab or a flat surface to a polish.
5. What important precaution should be taken between each stage of grinding and sanding?
6. What is a template, and how is it used?
7. What is a cabochon, and what is the usual thickness of the slab from which it is made?
8. How do you decide the best angle or position to slab a specimen?
9. Explain two methods of wet sanding while shaping and polishing the rock.
10. From what material are polishing compounds made? If a scratch appears while polishing, how is it removed?
11. Saw, trim, properly dop, and carry a cabochon through the necessary grinding, sanding, and polishing stages to a high gloss or glassy finish.
12. Mount the cabochon on some type of backing, such as a stick pin, sweater pin, key ring, etc., with cement.