Skill Level: 3
Original Honor: 1949
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Advanced Star Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. Have the Star Honor.
2. How can you account for the apparent daily motion of the stars?
3. What are each of the following:
h. Fixed star
Identify personally or from pictures an example of each.
4. Define the following terms:
a. Celestial sphere
b. Celestial pole
c. Celestial equator
e. Right ascension
5. Explain the major difference between a refractor and reflector type of telescope. Describe an equatorial telescope mounting.
6. Into what colors is sunlight dispersed when passed through a prism? In what way are colors of stars used to indicate their temperature? 7. What connection is there between the ecliptic and the vernal and autumnal equinoxes? What dates are usually associated with the equinoxes?
8. Learn the 12 constellations called the signs of the zodiac. Know the history of the signs of the zodiac.
9. Identify by there name and point out in the sky the constellations that can be seen all night long on a clear night in your hemisphere.
10. Name five constellations that are visible between sunset and midnight in your hemisphere during:
a. The summer months.
b. The winter months.
11. At what time of year is the constellation Orion best seen? Locate and identify in the sky the three brightest stars of this constellation.
12. How are the letters of the Greek alphabet used to name stars in a constellation? Give five illustrations of the use of the letters of the Greek alphabet in naming the stars of a constellation.
13. Locate the 15 first-magnitude stars as they appear throughout the year.
14. With the use of a diagram, show the relative positions of the earth and moon during high and low tides.
15. Describe the peculiar individual characteristics of the planets in our solar system. Which ones cannot be seen without the aid of a telescope? Which two planets are seen only near the hours of sunrise or sunset?
16. Where and in what way does the Bible refer to Orion, the Pleiades, and Arcturus?