Skill Level: 2
Original Honor: 1933
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wiki.pathfindersonline.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: General Conference
1. What is the distinction between moths and butterflies?
2. Define the following terms: antennae, cocoon, pupa, larva, and chrysalis.
3. Distinguish between three different cocoons as to species.
4. What causes colored powder to come off on your hands when you handle the wings of a butterfly? Examine the powder of a moth with a magnifying lens and describe your findings.
5. Name a harmful house moth and three harmful tree moths and tell during what stage of their lives they do their damage.
6. What famous butterfly follows the birds southward every winter and comes northward again in spring?
7. Do one of the following:
a. Make a collection of 25 moths and butterflies, with not more than two specimens of any one variety. Specimens should be anesthetized by using carbon tetrachloride or other chemical in a collecting jar.
b. Identify in the field, then draw or photograph 25 species of lepidoptera.
a. In either project, correctly label with name, date observed, location, time of day, and plant type on which it was feeding.
8. Describe the life history of a moth or butterfly. What lesson can be learned in connection with the resurrection of the righteous dead?