DetailsCategory: Arts Crafts & Hobbies
Skill Level: 2
Original Honor: UNK
AdventSource Honors Handbook PDF
AdventSource Catalog: Patch Order (must have approved order login) (link from AdventSource)
Wikibooks.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: South Pacific Division
1. Define the following commonly used terms:
y. Tangata whenua
2. a. Draw or trace a map of the world and show with arrows the directions of
b. Where do Maoris consider themselves to have come to New Zealand from?
c. Explain what the Great Migration Myth is. Who was the originator of the myth? What were the canoes that arrived in this migration and where did they come from?
d. Draw or trace a map of New Zealand showing all the major tribal areas, and make in the canoe for each. (SIC)
e. Why was Rangitoto named ìRangitotoî?
3. Visit a marae with a group that has been called to a hui. Write a report on the events that take place from the time you arrive at the marae to the time you leave. State the name of the marae, its locality and the tribe to which it is affiliated.
4. Briefly relate the customs observed at each of the following events:
b. Meal times
5. Religious Culture
a. What are the two Maori religions currently in use today, and what are
some of their characteristics?
b. Briefly describe the Maori story of creation.
c. Briefly outline the story of Seventh-day Adventism among the Maori people.
d. What is the Maori attitude to religion in general?
6. Make a sample tukutuku panel (approx 30cm x 30cm) OR a tipare OR a small flax mat/basket.
7. Know how to correctly:
a. Greet people in Maori
8. a. What are five different pastimes enjoyed by Maori children in former times?
b. Learn how to do three string figures and walk on stilts.
9. Visit an old pa site in your locality and make a brief written report on what you could see.