DetailsCategory: Arts Crafts & Hobbies
Category: Arts, Crafts, and Hobbies
Skill Level: 2
Original Honor: 1999
Adventsource Honors Handbook PDF
Adventsource Catalog: #007400 Advanced Star Order (must have approved order login) (link from adventsource)
Wikibooks.org Article/Answer Key
Originating Institution: North American Division
1. Have the Pinewood Derby Honor.
2. Know the Pinewood Derby race regulations for your district, area, or conference. NOTE: Many conferences have special Pinewood Derby events and the rules may vary as to length, weight and wheels.
3. Be aware of the following:
a. Cars shall not ride on any kind or type of springs.
b. No loose materials of any kind are allowed in or on the car.
c. Official number must be clearly marked and visible.
4. Review tool safety.
5. Know the various ways to prepare and finish your project:
a. Sanding wood
b. Filling holes
c. Sealing new wood
d. Coloring wood
e. Gloss finishes
f. Enamel finishes
g. Stain finishes
h. Wax finishes
i. Acrylic finishes
j. Water colors
k. Leather look on wood
m. Forged foil
6. Know the principle meaning of friction and how it can effect the performance of your car.
7. Know the three best ways to reduce friction on your car.
a. Axle lubrication
b. Aerodynamic design
c. Smooth finish
d. Proper wheel/axle clearance
e. Reduce wheel shaking
8. Know the three theories of weight distribution and how it could affect the perfor- mance of your car.
9. Design and build to completion the following (not previously built):
a. Basic car kit with complete exterior finish
b. Deluxe/fancy car kit with complete exterior finish and decals
c. Be creative by building one of the following: tank, submarine, airplane, piano, ice cream sandwich, fire engine, vege-link, school bus, baby carriage, etc.
10. Use details on your project such as steering wheel, driver, decals, etc. as long as these details do not exceed the maximum length, width, and weight specification.
11. Participate in a club, district, or conference sponsored Pinewood Derby event with a current car.
12. Define and practice good sportsmanship as it relates to your Christian walk.