Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heredity Honor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:06 am 
New Friend

I know I found the Heredity Honor with answers "online" someplace but I can't locate it TODAY! Does anyone else have the link handy?

Denise

Post subject: Heredity Honor Answers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

It is now available, complete with answers at Wiki Books.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Adventist_ ... e/Heredity

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:04 pm 
Master Guide

I wouldn't say it's complete with answers just yet. I have it marked as 25% finished. All the requirements are there, and there are many answers, but this one still has a ways to go.

Also, thanks to you linking to it here, I noticed that I had misfiled it in the wikibook. That honor has now been moved to http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Adventist_Youth_Honors_Answer_Book/Health_and_Science/Heredity under the Health and Science section (that's where it has always been listed, but it was in its own little world in the hierarchical scheme of things).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:53 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Forgive my inability to figure out wikibooks lol.

But we have Heredity completed as an honor, and I'd like to share my answers with what I have here for the group to read.

I'll fill in all the answers in Wikibooks that don't have answers with them.

Number 4 c

Curved Thumb - Giving the "hitchhikers thumb" the end section of the thumb where the thumbnail is located is not 90 degrees straight up and down with the rest of the thumb. It points farther backwards than 90 degrees. It is a commonly dominant trait.

Bent Pinky - Holding your hand up in front of you, palm outwards, fingers extended you will notice that your pinky finger may or may not bend towards your ring finger.

Digit hair - Digits refer to your fingers and toes. Dominant traits possess hair (even if it is very fine hair) on the section of the digit closest to the body or foot. Recessive traits have no hair.

Second toe longer - A very self-explanatory trait. Dominant traits are represented by the toe next to the big toe being longer than the big toe.

5c - The DNA is copied during transcription with the help of ribosomes. The strands unwind, are copied, then are rewound back into the double helix shape.

6a is incorrect. Meiosis is employed to create gametes (sex sells). Meiosis occurs ONLY for the creation of sex cells, not body cells. Mitosis is used for the creation of all other cells in the body.

Mitosis is the process in which a cell duplicates its chromosomes to generate two, identical cells. It is generally followed by cytokinesis which divides the cytoplasm and cell membrane. This results in two identical cells with an equal distribution of organelles and other cellular components.

A primary difference between meiosis and mitosis is that meiosis will have the haploid number of chromosomes (n) and mitosis will have the diploid number of chromosomes (2n).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiosis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitosis

6c - Yes. Haploid cells are gametes and must remain haploid to produce viable offspring.

7a - In transcription DNA copies codes of thymine, adenine, cytosine and guanine into sequences that result in the formation of genes. An example of a sequence is AT-CG-AT-TA-TA-CG-GC-GC-AT representing base pairs of adenine/thymine and guanine cytosine.,

Thymine will bond with adenine and only adenine. And cytosine will bond with guanine and only guanine.

7b - Demonstrate this by using diagrams or paper models.

Ideas for doing this includes using the candy "dots" or "Mike and Ike's." You can use them held together with a toothpick to hold them together representing the bond and place them end to end to make a double helix around a dowel. Cytosine - red / Adenine - yellow / Thymine - orange / Guanine - green

8a - addendum A mutation is a shift in base pairs (which is the CG / AT) during transcription. It can be a deletion, subtraction or translocation.

9 - Parkinson's Syndrome (formerly referred to as Parkinson's Disease)

Michael J. Fox - Actor
Cassius Clay (aka Muhammad Ali) - Former heavyweight boxing champion and olympic gold medalist.

10 - As Adventists and Pathfinders we must also include our parents, our faith and by temptations and sin which can change our character.

11 - 3 statements from EGW.

Desire of Ages - p. 307 Inside of us by faith
Desire of Ages - p. 122/123 Christ's character in you will see you through the end times.
Testimonies Vol. 4 - p. 439 Character traits are transmitted to us from our parents.

This is just what we've taught, if anyone has any questions, any comments, or would like to discuss the honor more, please feel free to message me.

And if someone would please post and upload the information to wikibooks to complete out the honor :)

Central California Conference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:59 pm 
Master Guide

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for posting those answers. I have copied them into Wikibooks, but there was one thing that was not clear to me.
Quote:
6a is incorrect. Meiosis is employed to create gametes (- sells). Meiosis occurs ONLY for the creation of - cells, not body cells. Mitosis is used for the creation of all other cells in the body.

Can you explain the "- cells" terminology?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:01 pm 
Master Guide

Oh, one other thing. The easiest way to figure out wiki technology is by playing with it. Wikibooks has an area called "The Sandbox" which is for exactly that purpose - playing around, experimenting, and figuring things out:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Sandbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:37 am 
Astute Guide

I think that "- cells" is s e x cells or something similar where one of the words is censored, even though it has no bad intention.

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:18 pm 
Master Guide

Yes, you're probably right. Why didn't I think of that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:19 pm 
Superlative Voyager

yes, that's what the - cells are lol. I didn't realize that (I have limited time to come on here, so I apologize for not getting back to you on that).

I guess it would be better worded as reproductive cells or gametes (the actual name for those S cells).

Thanks for updating it for me, Our club is hoping to teach the entire Health Science section this year, and if we come across anything else, I'll let you know. Thanks for your help.

Central California Conference