Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Master Guide uniform
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:23 pm 
New Friend

I will be inducted as a Master Guide September 9. Where can I order a uniform and what are the uniform requirements? Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:52 pm 
Superlative Voyager

out of sheer curiousity, have u completed all the classes prior to Master Guide? Friend, Companion, Explorer, Ranger, Voyager and Guide?

Central California Conference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:22 pm 
Master Guide

Uniforms are available from AdventSource or your local army surplus store. You have to email AdventSource to order from them, they are a semi special order item.

You will find details and discussions on the Master Guide Uniform here:
http://www.pathfindersonline.org/forum/ ... m.php?f=27

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:54 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Is it ok to continue wearing the Pathinder Uniform instead of the Master Guide uniform? I prefer to wear the black, and so I have been, with of course the MG scarf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:19 pm 
Master Guide

In my life experience I am confident in saying fewer than half of all Pathfinder Involved Master Guides have a Master Guide Uniform and some of them who do now took twenty years to come around to it. It is an expenxive choice and not especially comfortable. This is a uniform that in the AJY era simply does not get much use.

I am not sure it got much use in the MV era either. Although at that time it was not covered with patches and pins as we do now, I have seen few of them. I collect old Pathfinder and MV stuff and most of the old adult uniforms I have seen or obtained have been basic Pathfinder Uniforms with the proper MG patches.

Wear what you are comformtable in as long as it has a cared for look.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:24 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I like to match the kids, ya know, and I don't really want to wear that jacket in the summer heat>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:29 pm 
Master Guide

What summer heat? It was 102 and cloudy here today, and many people here wear suits. Okay so Phoenicians are different I suppose.

I know, the only thing I did not like about the uniform change was that there is nothing comperable in black for Master Guide. There are Dress Coats made for Police and Fire agencies that might be adaptable but the prices are through the roof and they are not readily available. The army uniform as available now as it was 60 years ago.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:56 pm 
Astute Guide

I plan to stay with the non-MG type of Pathfinder uniform with the MG patch and pins on it. The uniform coat is just too hot for the Louisiana weather.

Mr Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:28 pm 
New Friend

NAD has a Master Guide Committee and at the February Meeting in Jacksonville FL they will meet to discuss the Master Guide Uniform and will publish any changes that will be suggested

The Master Guide does not always have to be the full suit (Jacket and all). The insignas you have on your Shirt or Blouse will signify the rank you have reached with the Organization. And of course you will now wear the Mastser Guide Scarf. When the weather is to hot for a jacket I can always take it off because my uniform top has the same pins, stripes and patches.

Post subject: Master Guide Uniform
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:27 am 
It is good to know that NAD has a Master Guide committee that will discuss the Master Guide uniform. We are currently using the green pants and kaki shirt for the 500+ Master Guides in the 20+ Master Guide clubs in the Texas Conference. The jacket is optional but it is recommended in important ceremonies. My opinion is that the jacket should be used instead of the scarf. If you don’t have a jacket then use the scarf.

Alfredo Lopez - MG Area Coordinator - TX Conference
http://www.masterguides.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:15 am 
Skillful Ranger

I was able to purchase a Woman's US Army Class A uniform from Ebay for about $30 ;) I would suggest checking there. I am not MG yet, but I am really close. I hope to finish it before Christmas.

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:41 am 
Master Guide

I think, if I'm not mistaken, that the green suit is not actually the Master Guide uniform. Someone who is on the Pathfinder council told me that it used to be, or something like that, and now it is just carried on because no one knows the difference. But I could be wrong.

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:32 pm 
Master Guide

The green suit is the Master Guide Uniform and can only be changed by the Master Guide Committee (NAD). It does vary a bit around the world. The Original uniform was the WWII US Army dress uniform, this was because of availability, it is still the same uniform but the modern style. In some parts of the world this is not available so the next closest item is used (national army uniform). As has been mentioned on the forum this is coming under consideration and may change. I would likely not change it (if it were me) because as appropriate styles go this is still what is widely available and cost effective. Police and fire dress uniforms may be suitable but are not widely available for $30.00 they cost over $100 for cheap ones.

Master Guide is not a Pathfinder Class or Adventurer Class it is THE AY Class for senior youth leadership. The uniform is adapted to the Pathfinder uniform normally and many US Adventurer leaders use the US Airforce equivelant. I think that is great but to change it to say- black would be a great deal of expense for those who need new uniforms.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:24 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I'm putting my preferance out there for some feedback.

What if there was more than one official uniform? Lets keep the green for those that would prefer not to change, or even those that prefer it, or that arnt connected to Pathfinders or Adventurers. Then add black for Pathfinders and Navy for Adventurers. It seems like thats what is starting to happen anyway.

Is the Master Guide Committee meeting open to all MG's or just the committee itself? Does anyone know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:25 pm 
Master Guide

I like Chelly's basic idea. I still worry about the cost of a "Pathfinder Master Guide Uniform." The challange is then find a cost effective method for a black uniform suit that will match in basic style and form to the green and navy colors.

The USAF uniform being used by the Adventurer people looks great, it is almost identical to the green in style. Both descend from the same uniform, as both army and airforce were one entity until after WWII. Black does not fall into to this mix, the USMC and Navy surplus uniforms are dramatically different in style and it it rare to find pd or fd uniforms surplus, at least in my experiences.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:34 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I think that those who are really intersted wont mind the expence. My grandma has been a master guide for more years than I am old, and she never had any uniform besides her scarf. It would be nice to find soemthing in the black though, I wonder about airline pilot uniforms? I'll have to check with my pilot friend.

Post subject: Keep the green!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:14 pm 
:shock: It will be expensive to go outside the green army uniform to our Texas Conference because we have organized Master Guide clubs with more than 500 active members. The only problem that we can see is when we have uniform inspections, because pathfinders have the black pants/skirts and the Master Guides have the green pants/skirts and some Pathfinder Leaders want to see the clubs uniform with the same color. This of course can open a new can of issues both positive and negative. I think that it is positive to keep the green for the Master Guides and identify them separately from Pathfinders, this helps the AY Ministry also. When you are in a Camporees or other big event, it is easy to spot the Master Guides and it gives the pathfinders a challenge to be Master Guides, etc. Hopefully they can have a good resolution in the next NAD Master Guide committee. We need to pray for our Leaders. :D

Alfredo Lopez – Dallas East Texas Master Guides Area Coordinator
http://www.masterguides.org or http://www.guiasmayores.org
:shock:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:10 pm 
Master Guide

I just saw something and it gave me an idea. I do not know if I have ever really stated what I believe the MG Uniform should be.

We have reached a time in youth and children's ministries where there is more structure to it than Senior Youth and Junior Youth. Once upon a time you chose which focus you wished to have and pursued a Master Guide Track that got you there. Now with a distincitive line drawn in ministry one underlying thing must remain and it is not the uniform. It is the purpose, a Master Guide should have enough basic knowledge of youth and children's ministries in the church to step in and assist or even intermitantly lead when called upon. This does not mean being an expert in all areas of each ministry, it means a basic understanding of the structure and purpose of everything from AYS to Beginner's Sabbath School. No doubt most of us could use a little briefing on some areas even if we once worked in them.

So where does that leave the uniform. Well you have read enough of my description of the official and common applications to see where I am headed by now. I believe there should be a basic MG Uniform for those who are not now affiliated with a particular ministry, or are leading AY, in stand alone MG Clubs, church Youth Director or CM Director and the like. It should be the same basic uniform that has been in place since the 1950's. In the like I think it is time to make official a series of ministry specific uniforms as optional only uniforms for each of the "scout" ministries. Pathfinders could use black or green (I could care less, black will have a higher overall cost for wearers), Adventurers with the USAF blue, Eager Beaver as the tradtional green as well as little lamb, TLT as Black, and Y.E.S. as Blue.

The patches will vary to match the ministry, if you are in a joint club (most Eager Beaver and LL groups are part of Adventurers) then the primary uniform (in this case blue) would be used with the "Membership" pin of the group on your lapel and the proper shoulder patches. The uniform shoud be clean though, the director's star(s) as appropriate, membership lapel, AY Pins and ribbons, name tag... All very clean and sharp. The one major difference is the thing I just saw:

Alfredo Lopez (alfa0722) from East Texas has a pic on his sight that is the perfect over all identifier for ALL Master Guides (I think). I had not seen it before and it would, on even the tradtional 1950's uniform, replace the World Patch (as no continuing education patch should): Image

Alfredo I hope you do not mind my putting this here, but it was the thing I have been searching for in my mind. The item that will, or can, tie all Master Guides together as one family of youth leaders in the church when they are in uniform. I think the plan is simple enough and could leave open the choice of $ spent to the club and wearers.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject: Master Guide Uniforms
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

One of the lines of reasoning for keeping the green uniforms for the MGs is because MGs exist in all the branches of youth/jr youth ministry. Therefore, it is consistent to have a green MG uniform when working with Adventurers, Pathfinder, etc.

If someone doing an inspection is as naieve and "newbie" to somehow think that MG green suits and the Pathfinder uniform are not "uniform" then someone needs to call their conference youth director. Both uniforms ARE appropriate and proper for the same inspection. :wink:

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject: MG World Patch
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:02 pm 
Hi Chris,

I do not mind at all that you post the Master Guide World Patch that I created to be used for the Texas Conference. The TX MG council approved the use of this patch until we have a NAD MG uniform guideline. I have an updated photo of the patch because we changed the trim color to black so it will match the other patches and I will try to post it in our website this week – http://www.masterguides.org
We have those patches available for sale from the Texas Conference and if you would like one send me your address and I can send you one.

Thank you and God Bless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:34 am 
New Friend

I think it is a good thing for MGs to wear different uniforms than Pathfinders and Adventurers. As previously mentioned, we are not the same branch as Pathfinders or Adventurers. I think there should be some distinction between every branch. When inspecting soldiers or the various branches of the military you expect them to have different uniforms to distinguish them from one another. This really isn't much, if any, different. I feel that we should keep the old style and colors. But we will see in February I guess! :) May the Lord have His way as our leaders consider these changes.

Post subject: Still working...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:32 pm 
Skillful Ranger

I am still working on the paper for master Guide. I know it shouldn't be a big deal to me, as I've done tons in college, bit it's proving to be a challenge.

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:51 pm 
New Friend

I'm in college too Cailin. If time is an issue, remember we only have to do 15 of the beliefs, although I'm sure it would be nice if we did all 27 (28) of them! By the way, does anyone know how much we have to write about each belief? I have been aiming for a type-written page for each. Okay so I only have one and a half done, but that is my goal for their length. Is that enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:18 pm 
Skillful Ranger

Esther, the MG im working with told me I have to do all 28.....I can ask again for sure... its a lot. I think a page is plenty :)

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:53 pm 
New Friend

Hi again Cailin,
I got that info from the MG curriculum manual, page 15. But if your leader says it is 28, that's the thing to do. I think it is proably best to do all 28 in order to show that you really have a good grasp on ALL of the beliefs of the church. And part of being a MG is excelling above the minimum requirements. I was hoping one page would be enough for each belief. I need to find an MG to work with. There doesn't seem to be a lot of them around here, so I may have difficulty doing this. Wish me luck! or better yet, keep me in your prayers as I begin my search for an MG to be my leader. :D