Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pioneer Diary made
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:13 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Now there is actually a Diary for the Pioneer level of AY classwork, made by yours truly. The goal of my endeavours was to produce something that closely resembles the official diary. I'd say this looks pretty stinkin' close. 8) The PDF can be found here. (It's actually quite small, 145KB, which takes about fourty-five seconds to download over dailup.)

The basic level is complete, but there might be a few editing changes. The Frontier Pioneer (Advanced Class) requirements have yet to be integrated, but will be soon. I also have doctored a cover for the diary that will be included in the PDF in the final version.

A Navigator Diary is also soon to come. ;-)

Last edited by Rangerman on Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:08 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I have integrated the Advanced Class (Frontier Pioneer) into the diary, but I'll have to wait until my dad gets back home to upload it. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:59 pm 
Helpful Explorer

You did an awesome job with the formatting. It looks like something I would buy from Adventsource. I am a bit concerned, however, that you have taken some things out and put some things in. In the Florida Conf., none of the requirements that they have developed are optional except for the advanced stuff, and some of the title headings in the NAD version we don't have at the Varsity level (Youth Organization is one of them). They have also changed most of the requirements for the other levels as well, but you're on the right track. If you are willing, I can work with you to help you complete journals for all of our class levels because our conference does not have a diary for the two levels that they've added or any of the other levels for which they have changed some (most) of the requirements, and I would very much love to use yours in this upcoming year. Let me know, and I will send you the requirements from the FL Conf. Staff Manual (they only have a brief summary online).

Keep up the great work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:42 am 
Helpful Explorer

I'd be glad for the help.
I wasn't sure how to integrate the advanced class, so I created the "Youth Organization secton" to put in the advanced requirements that didn't fit in anywhere else.
Would it be better to have a seperate section in the back with no headings and have the advanced stuff abck there?

I'm using the requirements from the Florida Pathfinder website, so it'd be nice to see what discrepancies I have with the set of requirements you have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:22 pm 
Helpful Explorer

OIC! Yeah, they should be seperated because not everyone will be completing the advanced level, and it looks like it is apart of the standard Pioneer requirements. You should probably take out the parts that say to complete sections I and II, etc. since they do have to do everything. After that it looks like the only thing left is the other half of the reading requirements. Have your dad send me an email (kresspathfinders@yahoo.com) and I'll reply with the scanned sheets from the staff manual.

I am so excited about this tool you've created! We were already giving our Pathfinders a binder with all of the general info but now they will have everything they need up from the beginning so that they can begin working on their stuff right away.

If there's anything else I can do let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:33 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Good, good. Then I'll seperate them.

Thanks for pointing out that I only had half the reading requirements. I believe my dad has read this and PM'ed you or contacted you. Anyway, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:55 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I just sent him and you the attachment. I can't wait to see the finished project. Again... Job well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:57 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I think its great that our TLT's are helping with the leadership information! I sincerely hope that the Florida Conference extra curricular classes (Pioneer and Navigator) are incorporated into the General Conference soon! Great job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:28 am 
Helpful Explorer

I have updated the Diary, and I will post the url to the PDF file shortly.

Code:
Change log

- Fixed a typo that I never caught

- Included the other half of the reading requirements

- Gave sections their corret names (Boy that page out of the handbook       helped!  :)

- Rearranged some requirements in their sections so that they are in the correct order as per the Handbook.

- Moved the Frontier Pioneer Requirements to the back, giving them their own seperate section with correct section titles.

The main sections now have their proper names, but I had to take a creative liberty and think up of names for the sub-sections (The Roman-Numeral sections) and the sub-sub-sections (The sections marked of by Letters.) for the sake of having titles for these.

This version should have all the requirements for Pioneer and Advanced Class. Please notify me of mistakes or missing/wrong requirements

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:31 am 
Helpful Explorer

Right before we uploaded, we caught some things that needed attention and fixed them.

Code:
Change log

-A few capitalization errors fixed

-List of honors added as a resource for the requirement that requires you to complete a nature honor.

-Front cover included.

-Back cover included as well as adding a blurb on the diary being protected under the Gnu Free Document Liscence.

The diary can be found where it always was:
Here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:42 pm 
Helpful Explorer

This one is a go, Jonathan! I have emailed the link to the our Conference's Pathfinder President and the Administrative Director to let them know that we will be using this diary. I am so proud of you! You did an AWESOME JOB!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:07 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I'm so glad to see a teen/Varsity Pathfinder taking initiative. The Pioneer Diary looks wonderful. I'm going to start telling our Florida clubs that it is available as an option for them to use. I'm happy to see that Kara worked with you to help you perfect it. Let me know if you're going to start working on the Diary for Navigators. I'll be more than happy to help you in any way I can. Thank you for taking the time and caring enough to create this one. You're work will help many people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:40 pm 
Helpful Explorer

About the Navigator diary--I still plan to create one, but since I'm going on vacation on Wedensday for a week and a half it won't be for a little. Thank you for all of your support. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:08 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Jonathan, just in case you didn't recognize the terms eTracker and Varsity at the bottom of Iris's post, she is the Pathfinder President for the FL Conf.

Post subject: Book Author
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:49 pm 
Helpful Explorer

BTW very nice job. I am from a state where this class is not done, but was currious about how it looked.
I looked a the book suggestions and wondered if "1844 made simple" was not by Clifford Goldstein rather than Robert Gentry.

Anyway Great Job,
Please keep doing these types of things. I think if the GC, NAD etc could harness the work done by individuals alot more could be accomplished. Many people are willing to help and even willing to have their materials critiqued by knowledgeable individuals. This would improve number and variety of materials available - and on-line is so convenient and "low-cost".
Arlene
AY Class Director
Holly Herons, MI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:44 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I looked quickly and I beleive you are correct, "1844 Made Simple" is by Clifford Goldstein rather than Robert Gentry. I don't know if this is my fault or the fault of the resources I was using. Either way, I will correct it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:52 pm 
Master Guide

Welcome to being an author, it is always a good idea to double check even normal seeming facts when writing (you will come to understand this more and more). And don't forget that if you are using some other references no matter how simple it may seem you need to add a note to the end of your work.

I have been impressed with how well you have done this project, keep up the good work!

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:29 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Wow, vacation sure is tiring--but I'm recovered now. I have fixed the page numbering problem and the header problem on page 11.

Also, I have referenced the AY manual as the source that I based the Dairy off of.

Downloadable from the usual URL. 8)