[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Pathfindersonline • View topic - How is discipline enforced in your club?

Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

How is discipline enforced in your club?
They make us do pushups, run laps, etc. and it works. 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
They make us do pushups,run laps, etc. and it doesn't work. 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
We have a point system, and it works. 55%  55%  [ 18 ]
We have a point system, and it doesn't work. 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 33
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:35 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I am a future director and am not sure how to instill discipline in our Pathfinders. I have worked with two different clubs, one of which uses the point system while the other uses pushups and running laps. Which one do you think is more effective and why? If your club uses something different, let us know about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:21 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I came from that forum to here. Thanks for your response, but I want to see what the Pathfinders think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:40 pm 
Helpful Explorer

LOL. Thanks for the reminder. As leaders we do forget sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:44 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I'm lucy to be in a club that is made up of older pathfinders. (Not that young pathfinders aren't good.) Our club (I like to think) is pretty well behaved, and the evil eye from the director keeps us in line usually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:55 pm 
Helpful Explorer

That's great. I wished that worked for me. Maybe I need to develop a different face, like :shock: . Anyway, I am glad you put your response here because I forgot to put an "Other" option in the poll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:58 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:03 pm 
New Friend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:35 am 
Helpful Explorer

I started this topic in response to another topic generated by Mr. C in this (TLT) forum (http://www.pathfindersonline.org/forum/ ... .php?t=600). What LoneMedic posted is equivalent to what Mr. C did, but it is posted in the wrong forum. My purpose for listing this as a topic in this forum was to seek the opinions of our TLT and Teen Pathfinders only . I am glad to see that we as leaders are visiting these forums, but our ongoing discussion on this topic can be found in our own forum, http://www.pathfindersonline.org/forum/ ... highlight=.

So, please reserve this stream for our TLTs and Teen Pathfinders. If you would like to add to the discussion on discipline as a staff member (or adult in general), please use the correct forum. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:08 am 
Helpful Explorer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:57 am 
Helpful Explorer

our club uses the push-ups.it's not that bad but when were on a camping event and i did't do anything wrong and i have to do push-ups it feel's more like my parents are punishing me instead of my director.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:23 am 
Helpful Explorer

Did you have to do push ups because others in your unit, tent, etc. did something wrong (i.e. punishment by association)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:06 pm 
Master Guide

A club that I used to go to used push-ups. It never was a big deal to me. In the club I am at curently, we use a point system. I am not sure how or if it works as it is not a responsibility that I have. It seems to do alright. Earlier, I posted a link that describes why I don't agree with doing push-ups or other types of physical punishment.

Post subject: Discipline
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:22 pm 
New Friend

I can proudly say that we don't have any discipline problems in our club at all... We do have a point system, but it is used for attendance, proper uniform, and bringing assigned classwork. As far as disrespect, rowdiness, or other... it just isn't a problem. Here's why...
1. We are lucky to have good kids... :D
2. :smt018 We let the kids know what we expect. When you set down firm standards and rules of what you do and don't expect, kids will usually repsond... if they respect you enough... the key is to gain their trust and respect. Establish a relationship. There are lots of ways to do this!
3. We'll I guess that's about it. When we do have a rare problem... we deal with it by reminding them that they are "Pathfinders" and pathfinders are expected to conduct themselves with maturity... there are LOTS of little eyes(adventurers) who look up to them... they need to set a good example. When you put the responsiblity back on them... it seems to work.

Next Pathfinder Year we have a group of 5 new adventurers moving up into our club...all boys except 1. (GROAN)...they aren't the most well behaved boys, pretty rowdy and uncontrollable.. Things are going to drastically change in our club next year, However, we aren't to worried. We intend to let them know what we expect and graduate them to a new "Pathfinder Maturity Level"..... Pray it works! :D

God Bless. :smt039

Deputy Director, Master Guide, Drill Instructor, TLT Coordinator

http://www.kodakgallery.com/bentonvillebeavers (password: beaver)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:14 pm 
Master Guide

New pathfinders aren't usually that much of a problem. Often it just takes a little while for them to adjust to this new status in life. The problems sometimes has everything to do with age differences.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:35 pm 
Master Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:27 pm 
Master Guide

Well said Mark,

I want only to add to that this bit.

As members of youth ministry we often forget the family. Take the time to get to know the parents and even syblings of the kids in your club or any ministry. Their daily influence is there and you can benefit from knowing what it is; also you can influence it by your connection to them. We minister to the family because the kids are our focus.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:34 am 
Helpful Explorer

Is it okay to punish a whole unit or club for the behavior of one person?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:01 pm 
Master Guide

That is an interesting question. Professional agencies, like the military or law enforcement academies, will often punish a whole unit or club for the error(s) that are made by one person.

As pathfinders, being part of an Adventist organisation, the very definition of punishment is different. In fact, positive correction fits better. The goal of punishment in pathfinders is not to get someone to quit doing something because it is not being done correctly or shouldn't even be done at all. The goal of punishement in pathfinders is to show them how to do it correctly or what to do in that situation.

By "punishing" the whole unit for an individual's possible shortcomings, what are we really teaching the induvidual? Is it even right to punish the whole unit for what an individual might have done?

We are telling the individual that it isn't so bad to comit errors. We are saying, "Don't worry. You don't have to be fully responsible for your actions." Discipline, as it should rightfully be called, is in place to teach you to take responsibility for your own actions. To those who haven't comitted any wrongful acts, unit punishment creates anger between them and the culprit.

In short, it is my opinion that unit/ group punishment for the acts of one person shouldn't be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:27 pm 
New Friend

its a little late to say this but punishment never works on my group. we had a kind leader and we were happy but recently the new leaders are to strict and boring. pluse they treat everone like they are just unruly kids. we are teenagers and pathfinders. if somthing is wrong all i request is that it is adressed to us like a human being. it is insulting that we are punished liek so many brats with behavoral problems. becuse of this outrage we no longer respect our leaders. if they find some new rule or punishment. we find a better way t oget around it and annoy the leaders to pieces while we are at it. or we make such a fuse thet they have t oabolish the rule. some may ask why dont we follow the rules. but hte answer is simple. we dont follow them becouse we are appaled at how irrelivent and uniportant hte rules actually are. there is also no insenive to follow them. we are still treated like insagnifigat specks of dirt even if we do relent to the conformity. also there is no reward exept there is no punishment. and we dont follow the punisment any way cuz we think it is unjust. my pathfinder group has probly got the closest bond than any other becouse we are drawn together through adversity. so all in all if the pathfinders dont agree with the punishment i doubt it will work. my group only does the punishments we belive we deserve.!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:14 pm 
Master Guide

Perhaps you should ask for a meeting with your director and go over some of the issues you are having. Looking at the pledge and law together could be a very constructive thing for you both. "I will be courteous and obedient" and "I will be kind" come to mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:16 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I have a thought too,

I was once a Pathfinder, TLT and now Deputy Director. In my Pathfinder year (I was 17 when I joined the club), I learned that there was no real respect for the leadership (except my dad :D). A few years later I would move into being the Counselor under this same director. Things were still really rough around the edges, the kids had no respect for ANYONE at the time (a small few did however). Since I was now staff, that automatically included me. Once we changed leadership 2 years ago, things changed drastically for the better! The Pathfinders AND Staff love the club! It's all about respect - both going up and going down. A director does have to have respect for his/her club, but the Pathfinders as well, even if things aren't going smoothly with the leadership, should show their respect to the leaders. Once this respect is shown, you can gain the respect you seek. It works hand in hand. I've learned this the hard way - maybe this will save some Pathfinders and Staff from having to go down the same road I've been on. Remember - We ARE ALL Pathfinders - Shining our light for Jesus. Be an example - you'll become a disciple - And so will everyone around you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:24 am 
Master Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:15 am 
Site Admin

Greetings,

I am sorry that you are having such difficulty.

I agree with the previous poster.

In addition, I would challenge you to look inside yourself and figure out what actions you have done that have contributed to the problem you're now experiencing and fix those. Since you're a teen, you have power to influence for good, instead of feeding into the vicious cycle of hate and revenge that you seem to find yourself now in....

What council might you find in scripture for handing this situation? Maybe "turn the other check" or Matthew 18 that councils people with conflict issues to go through the process of working it out.

I'm praying for you... strife is not easy to deal with, especially as a teen when it feels like "all the adults are ganging up on me."

God bless,

Mark O'Ffill