Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Would you like to see the next International Camporee out west?
I cannot imagine better than Oshkosh 26%  26%  [ 15 ]
I'd like someplace more primitive - real camping 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
I dunno, but I'm tired of the inland weather extremes 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Let's try Colorado again 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Anywhere else is just fine - we need a change 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Somewhere in the Southeast 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Somewhere in the Northeast 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Somewhere in the Northwest 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
Somewhere in the Southwest 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Let's just go for the middle, to shorten travel 19%  19%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 58
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:28 am 
Participating Companion

Just for those of you who are wondering...
Yes, Coeur D'Alene Idaho would have little trouble handling the influx of 30K people's needs. The place is a summer destination of a huge number of people. Not only that, there are facilities in several directions, and smaller towns.

Yes, there might be some issues with 5000 people wanting camping gear. But if people show up without gear ANYWHERE, they have problem.

Real camping... and it's not really wilderness camping... Is not that bad of a thing. Removing the pathfinders from the "normal" environment is key to reaching beyond the daily distractions they would otherwise deal with.

Either way, I would LOVE to see the next one feature a ton less money spent on technology, and a lot more on making the place secure, have sufficient services, etc.

I was never a pathfinder as a kid.
I was at FOF in '04 and DTP in '99.
Wishing '09 to be in Heaven...Or Idaho.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:41 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Quote:
Today we received a letter from the NAD Camporee committee. Of course, they're already starting to plan for 2009! Although I'm not sure of the place for the next camporee, the dates have been set. The camporee will take place from August 11-15, 2009. So, mark this date down on your calendars, and start fund raising! Let your Adventurers and younger Pathfinders (and their parents) know that they can look forward to attending the NAD camporee in 2009. Encourage your older Pathfinders to stay with the club and become staff members and go with you too. You know how fast these years fly by--it's already been nearly a year since Faith On Fire--can you believe it!?!!! It's amazing...

This quote originally came from me back in July. It's an e-mail I sent out to the Illinois club directors. I am the office assistant in the IL Conf Youth Dept, and an area coodinator. One of our IL people must have sent it Chelley in Wisconsin. (Hi, Chelley! I just put two and two together and realized that it was you I played games with at the Lake Union PF Leadership Retreat Sat. nite! Cool! :D )

The committee in charge of the "NAD/International" camporees has been searching for another place to hold the 2009 camporee. Several places have been visited and found lacking. I'm not sure that everyone has a full grasp of what is entailed here. Space is one thing--many places in the country have space. But, do they have the support structure in place for the activities, let alone shower/sanitary facilities for such a huge group? Enclosed buildings are needed for securing first aid/medical, security, and the booths of the SDA institutions and honors areas, etc, in large buildings such as the hangars. Showers and toilets are needed for a certain percentage of attendees, etc. What would we have done without WalMart, Target, JC Penney, etc., when the weather turned unexpectedly VERY cold? Our own northern area people were cold enough, can you imagine what it was like for our guests from tropical countries? They needed warm clothing and bedding for sure. Being near to these stores was a lifesaver, almost literally, to lots of people.

I also like camping out in the less crowded country, but there is indeed something to be said for having goods available nearby when needed. As someone else mentioned earlier, there is also need for lots of community service projects and a populated area for the Sabbath parade outreach. I'm not saying I think we have to stay at Oshkosh, but it's very difficult to find any other place that has a similar level of facilities on such a large scale.

:!: I might also mention that we just had our Lake Union Pathfinder Leadership Convention this weekend, and this was a topic of the discussion with Ron Whitehead, Camporee Director, and Terry Dodge, Facilities Coordinator for the FOF Camporee. There is some thought on lowering the number of attendees in 2009 back to 25,000 to lesson the burden on the facility and staff. This hasn't been decided yet, but it's being considered. (Perhaps folks would be more inclined to register on time if less tickets are available, but working in the PF office I know that even a late fee doesn't always keep people from registering late, or missing out all together, unfortunately! So hit the fundraising and buy your tickets early!!! :wink: ) Also, the committee is more than willing to take suggestions on new sites. Please give them as many details as you can, along with contact information, and they will check it out. You can e-mail Ron Whitehead at the Center for Youth Evangelism, including his name in the subject line, at cfye@andrews.edu.

I'm all for open discussion on the forum, but it's even better to make positive suggestions to someone who is relevant to making the decisions. They really do want to know what you think could make the camporee better, and have valid suggestions for remedies made as well.

With regard for the camporee dates, there are several things considered when choosing the date, and unfortunately every conflict cannot be remedied by the committee. Of course school is very important, but they also have to take into heavy consideration summer camp dates. Camp staff are used to set up, run and take down the camporee, so they have to be sure all the summer camps are finished first. Last year our academy was supposed to have registration on the Sunday that everyone was driving home from camporee, and then begin classes the next day. One of our area coordinators, whose children attended there, contacted our education superintendent and told him the situation. The start of academy was postponed for a week to accommodate all in our conference with that problem. Although that will probably not help public school students, if you present this to your conference superintendent early--read now-- they may be willing to make some changes in the calendar for the 2009 school year. We are blessed to have conference leadership who wholeheartedly back the Pathfinder program here, and I hope that you do to!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:55 am 
Superlative Voyager

Welcome Linda,

I had a ball playing games Sat night. Good to see you here, and yes, Rita passes stuff along to me from you, I really enjoy getting those updates.

Chelly

Post subject: Camporee Location 2009
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:51 pm 
New Friend

Hi one and all. No word yet on Camopree 2009 location?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:38 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Well, nothing is 100% yet, but the person I talked to says it looks like it'll be at EAA in Oshkosh again. It's hard to beat the amount of camping space and facilities for booths and activities they have up there! I think it will be kinda neat to see what they may change to make it different and/or better than the ones before held in the same place. (Hey, look for the silver lining!) Besides, most Pathfinders will not have been to an NAD camporee before and it's for them, really. The adults just need to take it easy and go with the flow!

Post subject: Camporee Location 2009
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:24 pm 
New Friend

Well, we will just wait for the official word and take it from there. If it is Oshkosh, then it is Oshkosh. For a lot of Pathfinders this could be their second Camporee based on their age.

God Bless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:32 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
Then there are those of us who have been around long enough to remember the beginning of the Oshkosh trend and before.

Oshkosh is a really wonderful spot to hold the camporee, but there are other really cool places to have it. I would love to see an international camporee held in the mountains somewhere (east or west).

Does anybody know what the theme for the next IC will be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:55 pm 
Helpful Explorer

A hugely reliable source told me that the focus character will be Esther :D , although at the time I spoke with him a few weeks ago there wasn't a titled theme yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:55 am 
Superlative Voyager

Veternpathfinder, did you attend the first NAD camporee in Colorado? The showers were freezing, and there were alot of altitude issues. Actually the only kids that will attend the second time are the ones that were 9-10, all others will have aged out. so that is roughly only 20 % of kids that attendeed the last camporee.

Anyway, I intend to be there where ever it is, but I love the Oshkosh Location (of course, being from Wisconsin does sway my opinion)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:36 am 
New Friend

I was at the NAD YLC and i was told by a very high level source that it is going to be in Oshkosh and that the theme is Esther and they are in the process of picking the names from 7 final candidates...

they are in no particular order

1. Courage to Stand
2. Chosen for This Time
3. Bold and Faithful
4. Shine '09
5. Chosen to Serve
6. Courage to Serve
7. Courage to Shine <------ THIS IS THE TITLE I HAD ORIGINALLY LEFT OUT!

You all might already know this info but just incase i hope i have been helpful.

AND YES THIS IS OFFICIAL... I received it from someone that is organizing the camporee.

http://www.ForestCityPathfinders.com
Altamonte Springs, FL

Last edited by Tmind on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:38 am 
Superlative Voyager

Is this concidered official yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:40 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I like #2 Chosen for this Time.

So does my husband.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:43 am 
New Friend

Courage to Shine

Is the title i had left out...

Altamonte Springs, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:25 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I like that one...Courage To Shine....maybe even add the '09 in there.

"Don't wait for the one you can live with, wait for the one you can't live without."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:42 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I think it's great that we are voting, I wish we did get to have some say in it, would be great wouldn't it if they would do an official poll?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:14 am 
New Friend

Chelly wrote:
I think it's great that we are voting, I wish we did get to have some say in it, would be great wouldn't it if they would do an official poll?

Go ahead and vote. I will count your votes along with my club's vote.

Our club was contacted to help in the selection of the official name if you put your vote here i will pass it along... but there are a couple of rules...

Please rate the names

A- I really like this name
B-I like this name so-so
C-I don't care for this name.

For Example

1. Courage to Stand - A
2. Chosen for This Time - C
3. Bold and Faithful C
4. Shine '09 C
5. Chosen to Serve B
6. Courage to Serve B
7. Courage to Shine A

I don't know if i'm supposed to share this information but i wasn't told that i couldn't so go ahead and vote and i will include your input!

Altamonte Springs, FL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:39 pm 
Helpful Explorer

It looks like they now have an official pole at the camporee.org website. I voted for "Chosen to Serve", which happens to be the theme with the least amount of votes.

I just want to say that I am so excited about the next camporee. I am stoked! I can't wait. I'm gonna mention it to my kids at our next meeting. I just now visited the camporee.org website, and even though there is not a lot of information up there yet, I am excited just to see the dates up there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:53 pm 
New Friend

yes, camporee.org has the basic info up but CYE told me that these were the official names that they were choosing from and that they had not updated the website.

But i'm really excited. We are planning on taking my whole club (100+)

we have already started a task force to figure out the logistics.
That's the good thing about Oshkosh. We already know where everything is.

8)

Altamonte Springs, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:42 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Over 100! Whoa! How do you manage that? We have only 21, and I find a bit difficult to manage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:40 am 
New Friend

By God's Grace that's how. Seriously, i do not know how we do it so it can't be us (staff). We're blessed to have the right staff and executive team and great kids. We have a big church with about 1200 members. So in reality, we should have more Pathfinders in our club.

Another factor is that since we have always had large club sizes, i guess we're used to working on such a large scale. I came from a club in Michigan that had a total size of 20 including staff. I was in shock when i came to the first pathfinder meeting at FC. It took me a while to get used to it.

Another reason we have so many pathfinders is that we have the Varsity Program. Florida conference has added two class levels. We have over 50 Pathfinders in grades 9-12. Our Junior Pathfinder program called Etrackers is very strong. We also have about 50 Pathfinders in grades 5-8.

Check out this discussion.

http://www.pathfindersonline.org/forum/ ... php?p=5404

Our kids are really good. Alot of them have been with us since they were Adventurers so they have a lot of respect for the ways we run things. We alot of programs such as Bible Bowl, Drum Corp, Drill Team, Color Guard and TLT. So we keep them very busy and stress Discipline.

For Faith on Fire we took about 106 people. It was alot of sleepless nights for alot of our staff but it paid off.

We can't wait until the next one. Alot of our teens will be Junior Counselors and with that in mind they are constantly promoting to the Junior Pathfinders how awesome the camporee is going to be.

Well, i'm interested to see how many 70+ member clubs are out there. I would like to share ideas because there are alot of differences in running a Huge Club and alot of "growing pains". We don't pretend we know everything, in fact we have over 20 1st year Staff.

Well, we hope that we have the opportunity to bring even more Pathfinders to the next Camporee.

Altamonte Springs, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:19 pm 
Participating Companion

I have to say, that when I mentioned to the staff a while back, that it appeared that Oshkosh was the location again, I can honestly say that the attitude we had about going in '09 went from actually excited to downright dreading the idea.

The trip is long, the weather horrible, the location too crowded, the water was putrid, and a long list of other negatives that make the place nearly unbearable to think about going back again.

We probably still will, due to the fact that it isn't for us, but for the kids we'll have. Still, it's really tough to put on a game face and pretend to be enthusiastic about enduring Oshkosh again. I would almost prefer to be tortured in some outdoor prison camp...

I was never a pathfinder as a kid.
I was at FOF in '04 and DTP in '99.
Wishing '09 to be in Heaven...Or Idaho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:27 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
I have to agree. I am hoping that they choose a new place for the one following. I saw Elder Whitehead last week, but didn't have a chance to really chat because he was on his way to an appointment and I was working. I wish that I had been able to talk to him about the one following 2009.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:32 am 
Superlative Voyager

I for one actually thought Oshkosh was great compared to 1999 - more portapotties, more activities, ok - maybe a little less camping and sitting room and walking room - but hey - at least more people showed up right? Praise God! I along with our small club of 30 or so is very excited about going back to Oshkosh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:27 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Hmm... from my experience, weather can't be controlled or expected.

I didn't notice any putrid water at Oshkosh, although it was crowded.
I'm excited at the prospect of going back.

I don't think camping 30,000 Pathfinders in the wilderness is feasible... If you compared the color of the grass at Oshkosh before and after you might know what I mean. I think a group of that size would decimate wildlife, even if unintentionally.