Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drill
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:52 pm 
Participating Companion

The best Pathfinder Drill teams I have seen are where the teens took the drill program and made a game out of it. They still had adults to help direct and get through hard spots where things did not seem to be working right but the ideas were coming from the teens. The adults got stuck with teaching the new kids the basics. But they learned fast because wanted to join the advanced group doing the fun creative stuff that has no drill manual.

What drill games have you done in your club?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:24 pm 
New Friend

never heard of drill games sounds tight.... my old club just did creative drill formations and what not... can you describe one of the games?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:23 pm 
Participating Companion

The teens invented complicated moves similar to "4 winds", with each pathfinder doing their assigned thing. It often looked like chaos until they all came back together. They often chose to practice on campouts, and while waiting for the van to take them home after club.

Marching in various circles was another set.
On command they would form a square and then in step move to a circle and do a left or right face and march around in a circle.
In another a group of 9 the middle person would stand fast and the rest would form a ring and march around him/her.

I am not a teen nor was I really into Pathfinders until I was 20. But I thought I would try to inspire some creative fun marching. The stuff from manuals is so boring, but it gets you to a level of acting as a group so that you can do some fun stuff if you try to be creative. Think of the manual as warm up scales are to a choir then let go and do something different.

Often a new move started with "let's see if we can do this ..." Then it would grow from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:54 pm 
Something we did in my club was a drill down. The drill master would call out various commands and if you messed up you were out. I never did win although I wanted to but I practiced more so I could win. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:51 pm 
New Friend

Hey I'm a teen and a drill instructor. In my club we give out points to kids who win drill downs. It is a good incentive to do well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:04 am 
Master Guide

I'm a teen and a drill instructor. My friend started making each pathfinder do push ups each time they made a mistake. And acting kinda military style. :x

I thought the kids might not really like it. But it as a hit for them. We didn't allow any laughing or giggling which is kinda hard for some of our boys! When there friend was doing pushups they could hardly keep from laughing. Every one had to do them to... Even the drill instuctor when he messed up. It made our teem more persise and made marching fun for the kids :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:02 pm 
New Friend

I've was a teen drill instructor for about three years and it's really fun to just come up with crazy stuff and see how cool the drill can look without really being all that complicated. I think it's the most fun to have a group of experienced marchers that you can do all kinds of stuff with relatively easy but then again it's pretty cool to see some brandnew kids get into their drilling and do an awesome job. We had a lot of Teen drill masters at our Pathfinder Fair last weekend and they did a really good job overall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:35 pm 
New Friend

I'm not so sure drilling should be something kids try to compete against each other in. Drilling is to develop self disciplin. Maybe drilling could be made a competition angainst oneself. My club plays Simon says a lot. Of course I like to play Simeon says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:05 pm 
Participating Companion

my club has drilling but i want to have fancy drilling but i dont kno what kind of moves we are supposed to do or if you just make it up
so any tips will help. thanx :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:04 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Well I'm not a drill instrucker yet at least.But my dad did the drill downs. And we would always do Simon Says.For those of us that were more advanced he would go harder on us,and if we were not so advanced he would go easy.I had an advantage.I started marching when I was six and now I'm 14.And for a long time I've wanted to get a fancy drill team but our club rihgt now is my cousin and brother.And we can't do anything with my idea's.But when we get another person I want to have a fancy drill team.I have some really cool idea's.Nothing really hard.But it looks really cool. :D .I have some really cool commands for left and right face.and to the rear march.I'm working on some more.And I can't wait to see how they turn out.If you have any ideas maybe we could twist them around a little bit and some of the commands turn out really cool
Sweetlips

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:54 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I was drill master for our freestyle team last year. First time I've ever done freestyle marching or even giving any commands. We had a 50s theme. The girls wore poodle skirts and I had neat commands. It was fun!!! I wish I could do it again!!!

"Don't wait for the one you can live with, wait for the one you can't live without."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:40 am 
Master Guide

sweetlips101 wrote:
I'm 14.And for a long time I've wanted to get a fancy drill team but our club right now is my cousin and brother.

Yea, it's hard when you have a small group. Although most years we have had just 4 in our fancy drill team. Some times the drill instructor has even marched with the group as one of the four.

Last year though we had a group of 10!! Wow, that looked good. There are ways though of doing it with a min. of 4 marchers. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:33 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Well if I can get my friend to do it we will have 4.None of my friends are intersted.Besides they would think my mom is crazy,with some of the stuff she does

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:38 pm 
Skillful Ranger

I'm a teen and drill instructor, too! :-) It's nice to know I'm not the only one. My dad helps me a lot, but I call the commands at the fair, etc.

sweetlips101 -- Just keep trying to convince your friend! It really is a LOT of fun once you get into the more fancy routines. :-)

Post subject: gymnastic drill
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:27 am 
New Friend

hello all, I was wondering if a gymnastic drill team was out of the question. I've noticed a number of non-orthadox drill moves entering the repetoir of dill team compatitions. Is there a line drawn or could we even have like marching two highs and a throwing team in drill?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:52 pm 
Helpful Explorer

You would have to have great balance or just march slow in order to do a two high march. Unless number 2 was sitting on number 1's shoulders. It could be awesome though!!!

"Don't wait for the one you can live with, wait for the one you can't live without."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:34 am 
Helpful Explorer

Yah he is 16 but I never see him.Well every other weeked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:54 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
Mitch wrote:
I'm a teen and a drill instructor. My friend started making each pathfinder do push ups each time they made a mistake. And acting kinda military style. :x

I thought the kids might not really like it. But it as a hit for them. We didn't allow any laughing or giggling which is kinda hard for some of our boys! When there friend was doing pushups they could hardly keep from laughing. Every one had to do them to... Even the drill instuctor when he messed up. It made our teem more persise and made marching fun for the kids :D

There is a fine line between corection and abuse when using push-ups. I have used them from time to time, but try to use more positive methods to make the team run more smoothly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:09 pm 
Master Guide

chelsa wrote:
my club has drilling but i want to have fancy drilling but i dont kno what kind of moves we are supposed to do or if you just make it up

What conference are you from, KT or GCC?

There are several required moves in the GCC. I will list them for you.
Star Formation/To the Winds March
To the Rear March
Circle the Circle
and... I forgot the last one (I'll get back to you on that on)

I hope I have been of some assistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:15 pm 
Master Guide

veteranpathfinder wrote:
chelsa wrote:

What conference are you from, KT or GCC?

There are several required moves in the GCC. I will list them for you.
Star Formation/To the Winds March
To the Rear March
Circle the Circle
and... I forgot the last one (I'll get back to you on that on)

I hope I have been of some assistance.

and Pinwheel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:35 pm 
Master Guide

Actually, it's changed this year for GCC. There are now two routines needed. One that features required moves in a required order, and another free routine.

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:16 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Have you done triple to the rear.It is a lot of fun.WE love doing that.I love marching partly cause I've done this forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:44 am 
Master Guide

How 'bout double to the rear with a slight hesitation....

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:16 am 
Master Guide

Oh, come on. Those are fun, but moves that are made those that drill themselves are top in my book. (I do agree that the variations and times to the rear march are fun though.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:57 pm 
Skillful Ranger

Double to the rear with a slight hesitation, to the winds, and triple to the left/right/rear marches are some of my favorites, but it's fun too when my dad makes up his own moves, like different varieties of break to a line, etc. :-)