[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Pathfindersonline • View topic - Drill Commands for the Deaf

Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:56 pm 
New Friend

We have a wonderful kid who happens to be deaf. His mother signs for him during each session. She has asked whether there is a simpler way to communicate the commands instead of having to spell each command out. By the time she communicates the command, it has already been executed.

If such a system does not exist, we'll work on developing some simple signs/ques for him.

Thanks!!
Samuel A. McLean
mcleansamuel@aol.com
571-643-1795

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:25 am 
Superlative Voyager

there are not always signs for everything. Drill commands are made up of common words that could be linked together instead of being spelled.

If you know how to sign the base words for each drill command, then it may help to speed things up a little more.

BUT! There's also another way. Sign Language does not provide for people's names. There is no universal sign for "Scott" or "Joe" or "Phillip."

So what do you do then? I was one of the first pathfinders to complete the sign language honor (so I'm not just blowin hot air here) and I continued on to take classes in college, as well as I was part of a sign language choir that traveled all over. Since there are not "names" you "create names." The sign for "Loud" is to touch your ear, and then arc your hand away while shaking your finger. Kind of like how a bell would resonate when being struck. I was loud in Pathfinders, my name was Phillip, so the sign for "loud" with the "P" finger was my "Sign Language Nickname."

The sign for "WORK" is done with two closed fists beating together at the wrists. My mom was "Barbara" and her nickname was the sign for "WORK" except with the "B" letter instead of closed fists.

That's one way that deaf people create names for each other. You could do the same with "LEFT FACE" and "RIGHT FACE" "ABOUT FACE" etc...

The letter "L" as the prepatory command "LEFT", and then a sharp short movement to the side for "FACE." The letter "R" as the prepatory command "RIGHT", and then a sharp short movement to the side for "FACE." And even the letter "A" for the prepatory command "ABOUT" followed by twisting the A 180 degrees for the "FACE." Just some ideas....

"SHOW" is similar to "PRESENT." Because the MEANING of the word is the same. You could do the sign for "SHOW" (left hand facing out showing the palm with the right index finger pointing at the center of the palm) as the prepatory command "PRESENT" followed by moving it vertically in a short manner for the command "ARMS." for order arms, close your hand around the right index finger for the prepatory command "ORDER" followed by the short movement downward for "ARMS." This is not a real sign language sign, but your pathfinder sees that it indicates the opposite of what they just did. They'll catch on soon. And since you already have Present Arms up, you can't do much else (correctly)!

Just some ideas... it would help to have someone facing him on each corner so that he can see the signs... does no good if you're signing to his back! :P

If you think these might work, let me know. And if you have trouble developing a few signs, or have questions about anything, let me know. I'd be glad to help, and I have a webcam to create videos to make the commands "live" instead of just "written."

Central California Conference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:45 am 
Skillful Ranger

Philip, I think these are wonderful. I do know some people that are hearing impaired, but not in pathfinders.

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:06 pm 
New Friend

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful...... I'm sure we'll be able to implement these ideas and I'll let you know how it's going in a few weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:34 pm 
Master Guide

Most "short cuts" are audible however any number of advanced teams have develop visual signals before. It would not be unprecidentedly difficult to do this from scratch. In fact for face movements you could have someone on all four sides of an area and use a single motion sign to accomplish any movement. Marching is a different matter.

I will check around and see if I can find a written format available.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:47 pm 
Master Guide

A very breif search of the internet did not offer any direct assistance. There is a school for the deaf that in 1965 started a cheerleading competition that has grown tremendusly. Since cheerleading is normally a very audible sport any school involved in this may be able to help you out. I suspect any local school for the deaf would be happy to assist. This link is details on the above:

http://cheerleading.about.com/gi/dynami ... cheer.html

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:05 pm 
New Friend

Much thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:31 pm 
Superlative Voyager

You may want to try to contact the Athletic Director at the Gallaudet school for the Deaf in Fremont, CA.

http://www.csdf.k12.ca.us/sports/sportf ... etics.html

I've been there before, and they have a very well organized sports department (for being deaf, you'd be surprised at how good they are). You might want to talk to the director there and see what they might have to offer towards your goals.

Central California Conference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:00 am 
Master Guide

It might be fun for you to try a silent drill routine. Although that could be extremely difficult. It would be cool for the other kids to have to do something without being able to hear the commands.

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:48 am 
Skillful Ranger

Central NH Flames