Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Biking!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:03 am 
Master Guide

Who bikes, wheter it be on road or off :?:

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject: Biking = Fun!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:46 pm 
Master Guide

:arrow: :) YEA Biking is the best!!!!!!

Good exersise, great hobbie, fun, :wink: lots of stuff.

I love Mountian biking!! I just got a Raliegh Phase 1 bike!! It is an awesome all mountian full suspention machine :!: Mtnbiking beats road biking because off road trails have varied terain, tecnical spots, more nature around you, and just are all around funner! O did I mention jumps!

Road biking is fun too but with how much I just spent on my new mtnbike though I don't see getting a road bike anytime soon... My mom and dad have oldish, nice road bikes that I've road before!

:lol: I could say a lot more too! :mrgreen: Biking = FUN!

Post subject: Low and fast!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:43 am 
Helpful Explorer

I have a recumbent that I ride to and from work nine miles each way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:26 pm 
Participating Companion

[b]is biking really that fun? i really dont bike. :oops: [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:21 pm 
Master Guide

Really Chelsa, biking is really that fun!!

It depends on what kind of biking you know about I guess!! If your talking "walmart bikes" going down a paved trail through the town and down the lane, over a bridge then no... :(

I like mountian biking. I like senic trails in the back woods, steap desents, hard climbs, technical sections..ect! Some jumps, but I respect my body enough not to be to crazy!

I'm sure biking isn't for everyone, but It's good exersise and fun, for me anyways.

That is cool Lonnyn about comuting to work!! That would be good exersise! I know I usualy bike around when I go on errands for my mom and stuff...Wow nine miles both ways is quite a ride!

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:45 pm 
Participating Companion

:roll: the reason i probably dont like it that much is because my bike is to kinda rusty and stuff because it was outside. but i gonna get a new one. so whats the best kind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:57 am 
Master Guide

It all depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of riding you want to do. You can spend as much as $6,000 plus or as lilttle as 150 at wal-mart. Most bike shops will sell good high quality bike for less than $400 sometimes even less that $300. You should look around and consider what you want to do and how much your willing to spend.

I'm crazy but I have a $1400 mountain bike and a $2000 road bike. you don't have to spend near that much to have fun. :P

you will not be burned;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:03 pm 
Master Guide

Yea it really depends on how much you want to spend!!

I would recomend NOT getting a walmart bike... just because they won't last you half as long!! My 500 dollar bike that I got 5 years ago still is in good condition... And I've rode it a LOT too!!

I just got a new full suspention Mountian bike for 1600 dollars!! It is so awesome to ride!! 8)

But hey if you spend about 300-500 on a hardtail mountian bike it will last you a long time. Or if you have more money around you can get a full suspention nicer one. But I wouldn't go much under 1000 for a full suspention. If you go to a local bike shop I'm sure you could get some good ideas on all this stuff...

:arrow: As far as brands... there are lots, and lots of good ones!! Some you pay for the brand name too though. My favorites are Raliegh, Kona, Specialized, and Diamondback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:57 pm 
Master Guide

Anyone have stories on how they got there Cycleing or Mountian biking honors :?:

:D did you do your 50 miler in the rain, uphill both ways?

:) they are the best honors, of coarse I'm biased!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:48 pm 
Superlative Voyager

For both mountain/road combo bikes I highly recommend the Pacific brand. I found mine at Toys R Us. But I'm sure you can find them elsewhere too. THey run in the area of 250-400 dollars but are well worth the money as to use and comfort. I've had mine for at least 7 years. It's not even rusted yet(I live in FL so salt water in the air makes metal rust - keep these things COVERED or in a SHED!)

I've been mountain biking, trail riding, and around the city riding. I've even taken this bike down a 100ft gravel/clay road at camp and had a accident - I was hurt -the bike was fine. These ARE good bikes! I've actually had several accidents on this bike - just because I'm clumsy. The last one I had was the worse - a few 360's and a sliding stop - all down a very steep incline (60-degree incline).

Our club is going to be working on the cycling honor this year. We have some trails following a highway nearby. We'll have to get into shape for sure though - as a lot of us haven't ridden bikes for more than 10 miles in over 5 years. I used to go that far -most times more when I was younger. I'm 23 - so I'm still into this exciting sport.

It's the 50 mi ride I'm NOT looking forward to. :shock: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:06 pm 
Master Guide

:) The 50 mile ride I went on is probibly still one of the fondest memories I have so far in pathfinders... :lol:

We took a whole week durring the summer and went to the San Juans in NW Washington. They are a group of islands, beautiful and oh.. hilly too :!:

We camped and stayed in a house on one island with a sauna and hot tub, it was procured with good conections one of our conselors had!!

We did several mountian biking rides and several hikes, but our fifty miler was on two islands, We did the first appox. 30 miles along the senic roads, then were able to rest on the ferry that took us to the second island were we finnished the ride. The cooks had supper for us and tents already set up at the end! I really enjoyed it and I was a finnisher! I was probibly about 12 y/o at the time.

:mrgreen: Pathfinders gives me lots of good times and memories!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:41 am 
Master Guide

I did my 50 in the rain. Boy was that fun. It actually wasn't that bad. The rain kept me cool, and hydrated! :P

Once you start riding more and more, the miles begin to come real easy. I have begun to ride about 100 miles weekly, not all in one day though. :shock: Where I live in the Chattanooga area, cycling is really really popular. There is a group ride from my LBS (local bike shop) on thursday nights and we usually go 40 miles in about 2 hours. but thats flyin'! :shock: It' easier, though, when you have 10 to 20 people to draft off of.

you will not be burned;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:42 pm 
Master Guide

They were lots of fun, and a little hard. The 50 mile ride just takes guts and determination. And lots of FOOD!!!!. Make sure you eat alot while you ride. When you begin to ride alot, you realize the importance of food and water. Eat and drink enough, and you'll be able to go the distance. 8)

Now, if I can just eat enough to do the 100 miler for advanced. :shock:

you will not be burned;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:14 pm 
Master Guide

My LBS has rides every week for both Mountian and Road bikers. I've gone a few times and really should go more!!

Water is so important on a long bike ride!! A hydration pack is a good investment. Food is verry good to other wise you start looking like this:

:oops: :( :cry: :shock: :roll: :mrgreen:

get the picture :!: :?: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:55 am 
Master Guide

I forgot to eat once on a 40 mile ride. I looked like that. I could hardly walk straight. Let alone drive home. I got home and dumped Ice Cream topping down the hatch. Instant picker upper.

Oh yeah, always wear a helmet. I know people saying that gets really redundant. But take it from me, I'm experienced. My helmet saved my life in december. It broke in pieces but it kept my head in one piece. I had about a foot square hematoma on my head WITH my helmet on.

you will not be burned;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:00 pm 
New Friend

biking is really fun. if your still growing then dont get a really expensive bike or you will out grow it. i like biking wether it be off road of on road, biking ish fun. :D

i'm a diabetic so i have to be carefull where i go biking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:12 pm 
Master Guide

Work your way up. Spend just a little at first, and then as you continue in the sport, you can have a better reason to spend more. It also prevents you from spending a ton and then deciding that biking isn't for you. HORRORS!!!
As with most things, start off slow, then gain momentum as you gain experience. :lol:

you will not be burned;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:42 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Yes - ALWAYS wear a helmet - as you never know what can happen on a ride! I learned that rule real fast one year at camp.

I was 17 and working at Camp Alamisco for the summer. (Maybe some of you have been there? If so you might remember me from that year). My parents had brought my bike up so I wouldn't have to walk everywhere - I could ride instead. Well, after a couple weeks I was toned to go uphill and everything without breaking a sweat. It had been a couple of weeks since they brought the bike up and they were back up again for family camp. I had taken an excursion one day (Thursday I think - it was the nite of the talent show) and decided to go down to the canoe area because I had heard some voices down there. This path/road was all gravel at the top and turned into Alabama clay at the bottom. We're talking about 150' of road at a 60* angle with a curve. I was doing fine at first, I made it down to the straitway where it was flat. But I had forgotten it had rained, which had washed away some of the road, leaving 2 feet wide ditches across the road. The rain had never done this before - so I didn't think anything about it. By the time I saw what I was heading for - it was too late. I was going so fast I wasn't even able to break without risk of losing control and crashing into the hillside. I braced myself - knowing full well what was coming, and praying the whole time. I had enough time to look up and saw there were 2 people down there - relieved in a way because I knew I could get help immediatly. I hit the ditch doing about 30-35mph. Of course - what I expected to happen did - but to an extreme I wasn't prepared for. I tightly held onto my bike as I violently rolled and slid to a stop at the very bottom of the path. The fall had somewhat knocked me out some - but I was aware I was breathing and heard voices calling my name. All I could see was sky, but I could feel the handlebars still in my hands and the cold metal of the bike on my legs. I couldn't hardly move yet. My 2 friends who came to my rescue were Ivan and Ian. Ivan is our current Pathfinder director as of this year. I worked with Ian at camp - he was the Canoe staffperson. They had just come back in from a canoeing excursion when I had the accident. I couldn't have timed it any better. Thankfully - Ian had a camp radio and immediatly called for help. I mentioned earlier that my parents were there. They were with a staff that had one of the other radios and heard the call for help. They immediatly knew who it was. By the time I was taken to the nurses station my parents were already there. They were worried - but I was fine, except for a major scratch on my shoulder, my face and I had sprained my ankle. But praise God I was alive! It was a scare I will never forget. Oh - I did play piano for the talent contest - my mom and dad have a copy of my performance. My injuries really told off on my adventure down the canoe trail. I should mention that I still have the helmet that saved my life - as I had a mild concussion. I still have the bike to this day - and I still ride it as well. Maybe one of these days I'll take a picture of myself on that bike lol. This was a lesson well learned - and I wanted to share it as an example of what could go wrong. I was definatly glad I was wearing my helmet that day - I landed on my head. If it hadn't been for that device - I could have died. Let this be a reminder for all to put on the gear that could save your life when you ride a bike anywhere.

God bless and keep safe!

Marcie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:30 am 
Master Guide

That sounds kind of like my incident. I was doing about 30, (breaking the speed limit - another thing that isn't always smart.) :shock: I have clipless pedals, the ones where your feet clip into the pedals. Don't ask me I didn't name them. Anyways, I pulled my foot out of the pedal and that threw me off balance. I flopped back and forth a couple times before completely losing it. I hit the ground really hard, on my shoulder, I'm lucky I didn't break my collarbone. I then proceded to roll over, whipping my head into the pavement and then roll a few more times about 50 feet down the pavement. I ended up in a ditch filled with ice cold water, (it was december). I think that might have helped numb the pain. I ended up having road rash on my elbow, knee and shin. I luckily had three layers on or my should would have looked like hamburger :shock: . The helmet saved my life but sacrificed its own. It split down the middle. (if that ever happens, or any big crash with a head impact, replace your helmet before you ride again.) Anyway, I don't mean to scare anybody, just warn you. Be smart. Sometimes I'm not and I've paid for it. :roll: :oops:

you will not be burned;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:09 pm 
Master Guide

http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u ... l&i=175113
A Helmet Should not look like this!!!!!

http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u ... l&i=175114
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u ... l&i=175115
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u ... l&i=175116

:shock: :shock: :shock:

PS This WAS my helmet.

Ah ha... Now you can just click on the link. Cool.

you will not be burned;

Last edited by rider1000 on Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:02 pm 
Helpful Explorer

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad you're okay!!! I'm definitely going to wear my helmet. I normally do wear it!!! I know people who just don't!!! Not a good idea. My grandma has this saying about how she doesn't want to come pick us up from the hospital and have to carry our brains out in a bucket!!!

"Don't wait for the one you can live with, wait for the one you can't live without."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:15 am 
Master Guide

Thanks for the details of your crash rider1000...:mrgreen: .... I totally agree guys :arrow: ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET!!

8) Ever sence I was young my mom had me wear one.. and it has become as natrual as wearing a seatblelt in a car!!! There are many differnt styles and fits so anyone can find a helmet that is cool, comfortable, and protective of your brains..

:cry: I don't have any dramatic story of how my helmet saved my life. Which is probibly good... :roll: but don't get me wrong I have had my share of scratches on my helmet that would have been scraches on my head if I wouldn't have had it on!! I have had my share of road and trail rash, rocks imbeaded in my knees, some scarry clipless pedal bailouts, riped up bike gloves, and very sore body parts... :?

O, those helmets are really sturdy too.. I ran over mine when I was backing out a van from a grauge. :idea: Don't leave helmets in a messy grauge especially if they are expencive. Thankfully it was getting old and I was about ready to replace it anyways!! It is amaizing it only partly cracked down the middle too. They are made to protect you!

Always wear your helmet :!: You'll be glad you did some day... and plus its the law in Oregon too!! (at least tell your 16...)

O yea I am a firm believer in Biking gloves!!! They have saved my hands a million times!! I have friends that have had major crashes and riped up there gloves but there hands were unscrached!!

Post subject: Images on forum
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:21 am 
Site Admin

rider1000 wrote:
Hmmm..... Image thing not working. I guess if you really want to see the pics. Just copy and paste the url into your adress bar. Sorry :(

I've disabled Img attachments for server space and bandwidth preservation reasons. Thanks for your understanding.

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:53 pm 
Master Guide

That's okay. I guess that means we can post more :D.

For Others:
If you don't put the img tags around the link you can just click on it.

you will not be burned;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:28 pm 
Master Guide

I still have skin on my hands thanks to gloves. There are so many things that are really smart to have when biking. Gloves and helmet are two of those things. Good luck and may the force, (not the force of gravity) be with you. Hopefully you won't experience the luck some of us have had.

Ooo, Ooo, Ooo Page 2!!!!!!! :lol: 8) :lol:

you will not be burned;

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next