Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Andy's Story
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:13 am 
Superlative Voyager

Andy's mom, Kenda, was working at Walmart as a greeter when one of our local church members, Linda walked in to do some shopping. Linda is very friendly and asked Kenda how she was doing today. Instead of giving the usual answer, "I'm fine” Kenda replied,” I just don't know what I'm going to do with my boys this summer, I don't have a babysitter” Andy was 10 at the time and his brother Kyle was 8. Linda promptly invited the boys to summer camp and her church sponsored them.

Later that summer, my husband and I started making plans to start a Pathfinder Club in our church. When Linda heard this she immediately gave me Kenda's phone number and asked me to invite the kids to Pathfinders, she was sure that Kenda would send them.

Sure enough, the kids came to Pathfinders and Adventurers and really enjoyed themselves. Kyle was quite shy and didn't get as involved as Andy. As the year passed, we started picking Andy up for church and Sabbath School, and taking him home with us for the rest of the weekend, soon Andy was spending most weekends with us.

The end of the Pathfinder year came and it was time to get ready for Camp Meeting. This was the first year that our conference was to have a Pathfinder Parade on Sunday morning, and I made arrangements to have all our Pathfinders that weren't staying at Camp Meeting to stay with us for the first weekend. Andy and Kyle enjoyed themselves so much that they asked if they could stay the rest of the week with us. At the end of the week, Andy watched the baptism at the lake, and on our way back to our campsite, told me that he wanted to be baptized. We made arrangements to contact our pastor right away to let him know.

Another thing that happened that week was that Andy spent a lot of time with the camp staff that were working during camp meeting. Andy just soaked up the attention that the staff gave him and became a favorite. He tried hard to win the free week of camp that they were giving away in the junior tent, but didn't win it. He wanted to return to camp, but his family wasn't able to send him. During the week after camp meeting the camp staff took up a collection and raised the money for Andy to go to camp again.

Toward the end of summer Andy started Bible studies with the Pastor Jeff and then attended the evangelistic meetings that our church held that fall. Andy was baptized on November 4, 2002. Andy has remained active in church and Pathfinders ever since. There was another person who attended the evangelist meetings who was inspired by Andy's devotion to learning more about Jesus. When the going got tough, Peter, who was raised an Adventist, and had left the church years ago, continued to attend the meetings, and was baptized with Andy on Nov, 4.

Andy's mom is very good about seeing that he gets to Sabbath School and church, and worries when his "religion" wanes. She has stated that when Andy started coming to church, his whole life changed, his attitude was better, his grades got better, and his self image became better. Kenda comes to church for special Pathfinder Sabbaths, but rarely attends otherwise. Please pray for her.

We moved from the area last September and our move has been very hard on Andy. We try to arrange to have him come and visit every couple months, and his mom still calls me when she worries about him.

It was important to Andy that we taught the doctrinal requirements even though he was a non member, and I think it is important that we teach the requirements even when our Pathfinders may not be Adventists. I believe that Andy is a true example of successful youth ministries. Andy is now 14, and I know that I have been blessed through knowing him. I hope that his story will be a blessing to you as well. Please pray for Andy as he is still the only Adventist is his family and he has reached his teenage years and attends public school. He still needs a lot of nurturing.

Chelly