[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Pathfindersonline • View topic - Firefighting Honor

Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Firefighting Honor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:47 pm 
Master Guide

Hey everyone,

I was just thinking how cool it would be if there were a Firefighting honor in the Vocational series. I can think of several requirements right off the top of my head, but I know there are at least three fire fighters on this forum (if I'm counting correctly) who could add TONS more to this. Let's not add tons though - better to subtract a few requirements and tune others up, and maybe come up with an advanced honor as well. Here's what I've got so far:

Skill Level 1
1. Have the Red Alert Honor
2. Tour a fire station or invite a firefighter to give a talk to your club.
3. Organize and conduct a fire drill in a public building
4. Know how to use a fire extinguisher
5. Explain the different types of fire extinguishers and know the types of fires against which they can or cannot be used.
6. Perform a fire safety Inspection in your church and present your findings to the Church Board. Help implement any recommendations. (OK, the church is probably inspected by the department for real, but I still think this is a good idea).
7. Inspect all the fire extinguishers in a public building (minimum square footage?)
8. Memorize the Bible verse in Rider's signature...

Maybe this should be Skill Level 2 instead of one - so far it seems more like Fire Safety than Firefighting. Let's crank it up a notch...

9. Discuss the role of a firefighter as it relates to Sabbath keeping.
10. What training must a person receive to become a (certified?) firefighter in your community.
11. List the protective gear used by firefighters and describe the function of each.
12. Describe the following firefighting tools and understand their proper use:
a. ???
b. ???
13. Understand the function of the following fire vehicles
a. Pumper
b. Ladder Truck
c. Wagon
d. Engine
e. ???

Discuss!

Post subject: Re: Firefighting Honor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:49 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
I think that is a very interesting idea Jim. The first section sounds like it might be more aptly named fire safety or fire awareness, but the second half is very aptly named. I like the idea, though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:00 pm 
Master Guide

I thought about adding the CPR honor as a prerequisite too, but I'd really like it if this could be kept at skill level 1. It might have to bump up to two. We could propose an advanced honor too.

With a lot of the vocational honors, once earned the Pathfinder is not necessarily qualified to work in that field - it's more of an introduction. I would think that the first half of this one might be appropriate. It's a level up from Red Alert, and I don't know of another honor that teaches the things listed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:40 am 
Master Guide

There is a Fire Station a block from my house. I can find out some of the answers, and maybe find out what other questions we should include.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:44 am 
Master Guide

By the way, for question #8. Memorize the Bible verse in Rider's signature... are you planning to give a hint as to where to find that? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:09 am 
Master Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:04 am 
Master Guide

jomegat,

I know his signature. I was talking about for those that do not visit the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:08 am 
Master Guide

Oh! Yeah. I didn't know which verse it was, so when I was writing all this up, I cited it that way - because I was talking to this audience. In a for-real list of requirements it would absolutely have to call out the scripture. After all, we can't make "Rider" a permanent part of a Pathfinder honor requirement!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:34 am 
Master Guide

LOL. Maybe that would be a good idea for people to join or at least visit the forum to find out. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:03 pm 
Astute Guide

I agree that it should probably be called fire safety awareness (or something like that), not firefighting as that is actually an occupation and would require, in my opinion, knowledge and skills in that profession. ON that same note it seems that what you have proposed for the advanced seems to come closer to this requirement as you have asked for them to list requirements... I will try to sit down and write answers and either send them to you or post them to what you have written thus far. I definitely believe that it is a good idea though... and should be continued to be perused....

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:46 pm 
New Friend

I am retired from theOregon Forestry and worked on Forest Fires for 30 years. It appears your honor is based on structural fires not wildland fires, If you want to expand your honor to include forest fires I could help. There are many seasonal job available for young people 18+ in forest fire fighting.
Rod Bardell
Oregon District Coordinator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:33 pm 
Master Guide

Rod, I'd LOVE it if you would expand on this. I hadn't even considered non-structural fires. It might be a good idea to repost all the requirements with your edits. Feel free to axe any requirements I've proposed, or morph them into anything you see fit, or add totally new ones. Anything goes as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:48 am 
New Friend

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:27 pm 
Master Guide

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:08 pm 
Master Guide

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:24 pm 
New Friend

Actually the fire triangle is the same for structural and wildland fires: fuel, heat & oxygen. Fuels, weather and topography are the three factors which influence wildland fire spread. Rod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:03 pm 
Helpful Explorer

It would be benifical to demostrate by dvd/ youtube or similar the fast spread of fire. Training sesons at a fire station would have this. At a fire station they may even get hands on experiece using extinguishers on diesel fire. Also just knowing how to opperate an extinguisher is diferent to knowing how to put out a fire in a building using an extinguisher. And the safety aspect of flashback and keeping the way of retreat always open and how soon the extinguisher actuallly runs out. I recently did training at the fire station for a building warden certificate and the fire I was putting out using CO2 did not go out, the fire was too big and the extingisher ran out.
Part of a requirment could br to assist in putting out a camp cooking fire.

Fiordland wanderer
Invercargill
Home of the Fastest Indian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:29 am 
Master Guide

I would be greatly pleased of some of you who are fire fighters would pick up this ball and run with it. Rewrite the requirements, present them to your conference PF director, and have three clubs pilot the honor (I would be happy to pilot it). Then have your conference youth director present it to the Division (NAD or SPD, but really, I don't know how the SPD approves new honors. This is how it's done in the NAD though).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:33 pm 
Master Guide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:44 am 
Master Guide

Last edited by tuningpeg571 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
formatting: easier to read

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:55 am 
Master Guide

veteranpathfinder,

I would like to help pilot this one. Regarding Firefighting Honor (#10) I agree with you, they are similar to doctors/nurses.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:09 am 
Master Guide

Hey VP, that looks great! Thanks for all the work you put into it. I'd be happy to pilot it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:19 am 
Master Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:17 am 
Master Guide

Hey VP,

Our conference Associate Pathfinder Director is also a fire fighter. I'll have him take a look too and see if he can get anyone else in our conference to pilot them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:57 am 
Master Guide