Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:30 pm 
Participating Companion

Does anyone know how and where I can obtain the temperament tests for completion of that part of the PLA requirement? :?:

hardworkin1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:13 pm 
Master Guide

Hardworkin1,

Are you refering to SectionII Req.#1 A 2 for the current PLA standard for NAD? I ask because I am not sure if the card refers to a test although my desk is such a mess I can not find the card (so this question is for my sake).

The manual (which will be an invaluable resource to you, if you do not have it) gives a reference to The Temperamant Inventory. It is not best to add the word test to this as "test" is rarely understood to be what it means. It is more understandably a temperament evaluation and it is the only one you will need to use. This is a part of the book Understanding Your Temperament, this book is available from AdventSource. If you have the Pathfinder Leadership Award, an NAD manual, also available through AdventSource, then the test is in there with full instruction and evaluating accompaniments. This will begin on page 27 of the manual and continue for several pages.

Although this is an interesting exercise and this particular test is considered scientific; as all tests of this type, it can be, and sometimes is, manipulated by the taker. Also, it rarely comes out to be surprise to a person who is aware of how they interact with others. Knowing you "knee jerk reaction" to situations and personal "short commings" is intended to help you with self improvement.

Much more a surprise to people is the outcome of the next third of this section of study. This is "Finding Your Purpose;" it comes as a surprise to many people to find their skill and talent - there natural apptitude - is not where they believed it to be. This area then requires special attention as we grow in our lives and calling. It will help us to be where we need to be and get the help we need to accomplish a task if we understand our own apptitude and drive better. There are excersises for this in the manual as well and all other areas of the PLA training.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:00 pm 
Participating Companion

Fish,

Yes, it is for the section that you quoted. I was hoping to get the evaluation materials without having to buy the book, Understanding Your Temperament or do you think it would be worthwhile to obtain it? I have the PLA manual and it only has the questions, no evaluation sheets.

Thanks,

hardworkin1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:58 pm 
Master Guide

As a person who is leading a ministry and selecting and trianing people involved in ministry I recommend buying every resource you can afford and reading it. Especially as "Lay Ministers" the need to take on a professional attitude is something I can not stress enough to anyone. Without the benefit of a Masters of Thd, self-study and improvement requires a great deal of time and work.

Having said that, I also believe most of us do not have a limitless number of dollars to spend so:

http://www.adventsource.org/book.aspx?ID=21291

This is the scoring template at Adventsource; the book with the test is 1.50. You could simply re-type the test from the PLA book with a yes no selection next to each as this is all that is different about the test. To be sure that is not the intent and I am not encouraging plagerism, one copy of the test book will allow you to make "educational copies" which are not reused and are (if I recall) to be collected after use. You can get away for $4.45 plus shipping I beleive.

I am sorry, I forgot the test evaluation template was not in the manual it does include the definitions of the various temperaments.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:02 pm 
New Friend

My advice to you is to contact you local conference office and learn where the nearest class on temperaments is being taught. Our conference has a regular schedule for teaching the classes for Master Guide requirements. The classes for PLA and and PIA requirements are taught to people who make application for these advanced Master Guide certifications.