Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: drill rules
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:06 pm 
New Friend

Hi!! im from the Florida conference getting ready to compete at redzone, however our team is still having doubts of what is the correct command to start marching and moving forward....HElP??

for the last couple of years our club was taught that to march in place the correct command is mark time march, then to continue forward we (our club) will say at a half step forward march however points have been taking off because of this added command. :(

someone explained to me though that the correct command is mark time march, then just continue to forward march to move in half steps.... does anyone know if this is correct??

also when doing count off is it correct to face to the right?

hope anyone can help!
God bless!
:D

Post subject: Re: drill rules
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:07 am 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
"Marching in Place
A. To march in place at quick time, the command MARK TIME, MARCH is given as either
foot strikes the ground while marching at quick time or half step. (Not given when at half nor at double time.)
B. When marching at quick time or half step and the command MARK TIME, MARCH is
given, take one more step after the command of execution, plant the trailing foot along-side your stationary foot and march in place. Raise each foot alternately, approximately 2 inches off the ground, executing the movement in quick time. Allow your arms to swing naturally. Adjust your alignment while marching.
C. The command FORWARD, MARCH is given to resume marching with the 24-inch step.
Take one more step in place and the step off with a full step. This command is given as either
foot strikes the ground.
D. The halt from mark time is executed similarly to the halt from quick time."

This is the section regarding MARK TIME, MARCH in the current NAD Drill Manual. It states that "FORWARD, MARCH" is the correct method of moving your team/unit/club forward from MARK TIME MARCH.

I can't answer your question about counting off. I might need you to explain to me the purpose. It could be that it has a different name in the Georgia-Cumberland Conference. I also don't know what "redzone" is.

One other thing I might add. As a general rule, the NAD Manual will be the correct manual to follow when you are in doubt about something. However, unions are allowed to adapt the manual to fit their needs (as long as it doesn't defeat the purpose of Pathfinder march & drill). Conferences can further adapt union manuals, if the union has done so, to fit their specific needs. The southern union has not made any adaptations to the NAD Manual. I know that my conference, and I believe that yours has as well, made adaptations to fit the needs of its members. I would ask your conference drill master or Conference Pathfinder Director about these as they ultimately will be the ones who made/approved the changes, if there are any.

I hope that I have been of some help. Feel free to ask any other questions you need help with.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:37 pm 
New Friend

thankyou have been very helpful! :D
for the Florida conferecence redzone is where drill and drum competition occurs, that is what we are trying to get ready for!!

Count off is when members of the squad face [[this is were im struggling to find out]] to the right and count their number until the last person of the squad.
is a quick head movement facing to the right saying their numbers and going back to facing forward.

for example when the command is given "count off" the head squad leader starts off.....1 followed by the next person....2....3....4 and so on.

I did look up info in the Military commands and it says it is facing to the right, i was just wondering if is the same with Pathfinders.

once again thanks for answering my questions!!
God bless!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:39 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
Not a problem. I see that "redzone" is your conference competition day.

I can't say that I have done count off before. I'm glad you were able to find an answer to your question in another manual. It is likely that Pathfinders adopted the move from the military. The only things that I know for sure that Pathfinders does not take from a military manual is drill with arms (sabers, rifles, etc.). As far as I know, most everything else is fair game.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.