Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ADRA Honors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:07 am 
Master Guide

If you work on this requirements, where do you order the patches?

Post subject: Re: ADRA Honors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:58 pm 
Master Guide

ADRA has a news release on their website about the ADRA honors. Does anyone have any idea what sort of updates they made to these? Are they moving them into the Outreach category, or are they still considered their own category?

I guess we'll find out next week at Oshkosh!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:58 am 
Master Guide

I did take one of the ADRA honor. Forgot to ask about the category. Did any of you find about it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:19 am 
Master Guide

The GC has published most of the new requirements. The NAD has moved them into the Outreach category. Here's a summary of the major changes:
* The Tutoring honor was renamed Literacy.
* Disaster Response - Advanced was introduced, but the requirements listed by the GC are the same as those formerly listed for Crisis Intervention.
* Crisis Intervention was either discontinued or renamed Conflict Resolution, but we cannot be sure which, as the requirements to Conflict Resolution have not been published. Because the requirements for Crisis Intervention are now erroneously listed as those for Disaster Response - Advanced, it would be entirely reasonable to assume that Crisis Intervention has been renamed Conflict Resolution rather than discontinued.
* Urban Development and Rural Development were combined and renamed Community Development.

In addition, the requirements to most of the honors were changed as well. The changes should make it a lot easier to earn these than it was before. For example, the old requirements from one required a 10-page report to be prepared and presented to a church board. Now the page count requirement has been dropped, and the report can be presented to the PF club instead of to the church board.

The Disaster Response honor dropped this requirement:
Quote:
Complete the official ADRA introductory training unit provided by your national ADRA office or ACS organization.

When I looked into this for the Wikibook, I found that the training was offered only a couple of times per year anywhere in the US. So to get this honor, you'd hafta be willing to travel to someplace like Atlanta, GA. Not that there's anything wrong with Atlanta, but unless you live near there, this was not really a feasible thing to do. By dropping this requirement, the honor becomes a viable option for a lot more people.

They did similar things to the other ADRA honors as well, but the changes are just too numerous to detail.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:16 pm 
Participating Companion

Our club worked on two of the ADRA honors last year, but AdventSource stopped selling the honor patches when they changed the design from vertical oval to horizontal oval. They still do not have the patches, and I would like to get them for my club. Does anyone know if there is a place to order these now? I see Advent Source and Florida Pathfinders are starting to stock the ACS Pathfinder honors, but those are slightly different than the ADRA ones.

-Rodger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:24 pm 
Master Guide

I ordered the Disaster Response patches from Florida last year, and used the updated NAD requirements to teach it. It might be worth a phone call to AdventSource, as their web site might not always cover everything in their inventory.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:30 pm 
New Friend

the ADRA honors on Wiki dont seem to tie up with the honor patches you order through Adventsource. what is the difference between ACS and ADRA? what are the requirements for the ACS honors?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:23 pm 
Master Guide

No, they aren't the same. Adventsource handles PF supplies (and insignia) for the NAD, and the NAD doesn't offer the ADRA honors. They have been replaced with the ACS honors, which are tweaked versions of the ADRA honors. ADRA does not operate in the US or Bermuda (but it does in Canada), but instead, ACS operates in that capacity in those places.

You can find the requirements for the ACS honors here..

I haven't added them to WIkibooks yet, because they are kind of a mess right now, and I haven't figured out how to sort them out. Do they belong in their own category? In Outreach? Lump them in with ADRA? I can't get a good answers, so for now, they aren't in the Answer Book.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:49 pm 
New Friend

Thanks for that. Can we still order the ADRA honor patches? where from??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:21 am 
Master Guide

What ACS stand for?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:44 am 
Master Guide

Adventist Community Services. There is also ACS-DR, which is their disaster response unit. ACS provides ADRA-like services to the areas not served by ADRA. See http://communityservices.org for their website.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:38 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
I've been told that the ADRA honors were moved and are no more (in the NAD). I completed an honor (Community Assessment) with my unit, but cannot seem to order the honor.