Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:41 pm 
Participating Companion

I just came back from the Oregon TLT convention, and I was wondering what other conferences do for their TLTs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:17 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
Our conference (Georgia-Cumberland Conference) usually does a TLT weekend. This weekend has lots of activities and semenar based stuff that helps TLTs learn more about leadership rolls in the pathfinder club (ex. issues a director, treasurer, pastor, counselor, instructor, or any other staff member might face). Usually there is a challenge to plan the start up of a new club.

Our conference sometimes will have a TLT rewards weekend as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:07 am 
Astute Guide

Actually, I think that the Georgia Cumberland Conference has sworn off seminars all together, and are just doing reward, and challenge weekends...

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:57 am 
Master Guide

Actually, it is more like a training weekend without seminars. They use hands on learning to teach the TLT's what it is like to run a club and be in charge of others. They are given skills to help them in leadership and get to meet other TLT's from around the conference.

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:47 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Mostly they discriminate against people under 16 years old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:42 pm 
Master Guide

What!?!?!?! Whom is discriminating against whom?

The TLT program is not discriminating, it is reserved for those that are 16 years old and older because they are more mature and able to handle the added responsibility of being a TLT. It is also a kind of reward to stay in pathfinders that much longer...

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:19 pm 
Helpful Explorer

The book says grades 9-12. I'm in grade nine. And all the other TLTs in my club joined before 16. And yet... the Conference won't recognize me officially.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:05 am 
Astute Guide

I think I get the gist of what David is saying...

The whole TLT program is designed to be started when a Pathfinder is a Voyager and continued through Guide, and in the third year of TLT a Pathfinder begins working on Master Guide, which is supposed to be able to be finished in two years, by the time the Pathfinder graduates from the TLT program.

However, many pathfinder join Pathfinders, and consequently begin working on their Friend class, when they are 10 years old but only in 4th grade. This means that they start their Voyager classwork when they are only in 8th grade.

In my club, we have this exact situation right now. Poor David (the Pathfinder's name) has to sit off by himself and read his Bible while the rest of the Voyagers are with the other TLTs planning for campouts, fundraisers, etc., simply because he's not allowed to be a TLT. He is 14 going on 15 just like the rest of the Voyagers, but he is only in 8th grade, and therefore is not allowed to be a TLT yet.

I would have had the same problem, had I not ended up skipping 8th grade.

What needs to happen is either the classwork starts going by grade and grade alone (must be in 5th grade to start Friend, even if you're 10 years old), or we need to go by age and grade for the TLT program as well (can be a TLT when age 14 or in 9th grade).

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:46 am 
Participating Companion

In Oregon they can join TLTs in 8th grade, they just don't get their cord until the fair in May, instead of at our weekend in January.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:36 pm 
Master Guide

Nope. David is in the ninth grade. Our conference has chosen to not recognize TLT's until they're 16. Our club recognizes them at as per the NAD guidelines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:15 am 
Astute Guide

I don't think that's right... Everyone should recognize it as one way or the other. Even if everyone says you have to be 16 regardless of your grade, sobeit, as long as everyone's on the same page...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:42 am 
Master Guide

NAD designed TLT as a four year training program, it is unfortunate if that same program is being used in late format. At the same time not all conferences adopted the NAD version along the way. Many of us had such programs before the adaptation of them in to an NAD version and some did not change.

By the way being a TLT is not a default action. There is an expectation that you will have a working knowledge of Pathfinders first (or what ever organization you are participating with) it is not a beginners program. This is why you must apply and be accepted. This is also why Teen Pathfinders are mentioned separately in the manual.

Sure age should matter, 16 is late. Most require you have been a Pathfinder at least one year before you can become a TLT so if you join at 9th grade expect to be 19 when you finish TLT if you are accepted in 10th grade.

I have had adults that were placed as associate staff members as a result of a total lack of knowledge and experience. Where you fit in depends on you and what you can do. Being a TLT is for those who wish to become leaders and are willing to work for it, it is therefore constantly earned not a right.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:38 pm 
Skillful Ranger

Yeah, when we were in the Oregon Conference, one of our teens in our club was not accepted as a TLT because he was not in the "right" grade, even though he was supposed to be because of his homeschooling level. He was really disappointed, and it was discouraging to him. My brother also was not old enough to join, but officially got his cord at the Fair.

Now that we've moved to the ID Conference, they are much less strict. Any teen the club decides is mature enough can be accepted as a TLT. Not "officially," but the conference doesn't really do much, so it is good enough, and every teen in our club is really enjoying helping out and being a leader.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:45 pm 
Astute Guide

I definitely believe that it should be started in ninth grade, after that, I don't have a huge opinion. I think that if we compromise and let them start in eighth grade, what is stopping them from starting as a friend! we have to put the limit on somewhere. As far is age is concerned... well, if you start too early, and get through with Guide, then when you get to the third level you may not be 16... and can't start MG :smt102 ! All I am saying is that we need to be understanding of certain situations, but at the same time, we need to make the cut off point somewhere.

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:18 pm 
Master Guide

Our club will continue to use ninth graders (and up) as TLT's whether our conference recognizes them or not. Our conference makes very heavy use of our TLT's. They organize the Fall Camporee every year, and they run the Sunday morning events at every camporee. The planning for all this is done during Leadership Training.

Over the past couple of years, our club has sent TLT's younger than 16 to the conference to help out with these events, and every time, we've gotten word back that they performed wonderfully, and that the conference could not have been more pleased. Later, we found out that the conference only wanted TLT's who were 16 and older. Since they always liked the teens we were sending them, I had no qualms about ignoring their age requirement. They told David that he could not be an "official" TLT until he was 16, but they still allowed him to participate in the planning (even adopting several of his ideas).

So - our club will continue to use ninth graders as TLTs whether the conference calls them "official" or not. If the conference pushes back, we will withhold their services from the conference, but continue calling them TLTs locally.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:22 pm 
Astute Guide

I think that what you are describing is exactly what the TLT program was designed for! So all I have to say is keep up the good work and do what ever you guys see best!

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:55 pm 
Master Guide

LisaM wrote:
I just came back from the Oregon TLT convention, and I was wondering what other conferences do for their TLTs.

My conference does not have a weekend specifically for TLTs. We do have a Leadership (staff) Retreat though that includes the TLTs. I believe my conference did get an invite for TLTs to come to the Oregon Conference convention though. Not sure if any did. My club was too busy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:58 pm 
Participating Companion

I know there was talk of inviting your conference to join us, but I don't recall anyone coming, to bad we would have enjoyed havwing more TLTs there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:06 pm 
Participating Companion

wildernessfun wrote:
I definitely believe that it should be started in ninth grade, after that, I don't have a huge opinion. I think that if we compromise and let them start in eighth grade, what is stopping them from starting as a friend! we have to put the limit on somewhere. As far is age is concerned... well, if you start too early, and get through with Guide, then when you get to the third level you may not be 16... and can't start MG :smt102 ! All I am saying is that we need to be understanding of certain situations, but at the same time, we need to make the cut off point somewhere.

But you can't become a TLT until you've completed a certain number of tracts (I don't remember which ones :oops: ) and some pathfinders complete the last tract early, so even though the school year is not over they have still completed the classwork required to be in TLTs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:31 pm 
Astute Guide

I can understand what you are saying, and where you are coming from... but at what point do you stop making exceptions? The purpose of having cut off points (in my opinion which is not infallible) is to insure that the proper amount of maturity is there. I have a friend who finished the "required" levels about 3 yrs. early... he was and is very bright, but didn't have the maturity at the time to be leading others... I think that if a person finishes early with all of the "required" levels, that there is still plenty that they can do! They can do the Silver medal award, or work on building their honor count (which will give them an excellent basis for teaching when they get there), etc... I am not saying that it is a crime to do things a little different, but I think that you just need to look at when and where you are going to make the cut off, and for what reasons. after my personal review, i think that ninth grade is an acceptable place for it to start.

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:22 am 
Participating Companion

I agree that there is a point where you must stop making exceptions. As guidelines go they must be there and a few deviations are necessary for a program to run smoothly; however, when you get down to it, a foundation is a must. In my opinion, the maturity issue is really big. Many Pathfinders who are younger than 16 just do not have that level yet, And in my own experience, it takes a good deal of maturity to be a successful part of TLTs. Here is where the decision comes in, you have someone who is very mature but is not old enough or you might have someone who is old enough but does not have the maturity. I can see where this would be a difficult decision. The program should make the difference.

In my conference we have been somewhat loose in the past because we have seen that those who lack the maturity will drop out and not complete the program. This approach only works if the TLTs are hit with a dose of reality when they get in the program. When I was in my first and second years, if you failed, you failed. There was no one who would swoop in at the last moment and fix things. If you were responsible for a camp out and did not plan for food...there was no food. The failure was the crucible...those who could not handle the responsibility dropped out. I think that some staff could be failing their TLTs by always having a backup plan. There may be other issues with the way the program is being run at a conference or club level that needs to be addressed rather than trying to explaine why someone is too young.

"Adapt and Overcome"

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:22 pm 
Astute Guide

That is true what you said, PathfinderDI. The best way for TLTs to learn how to be the leaders they are training to be is to know that the full responsibility for whatever they are working on is on them. If they know that somebody else will take care of it if they fail, then where's the learning?

In my experience, even if a TLT doesn't have the maturity level at the time they enter the program, the maturity comes, and often faster than it would have if they hadn't had the responsibilities they had.